Ridiculously Slow SqlServer2005 Sorting?

Mark Olbert

Why does the following simple query against an SqlServer2005 table in an ASPNET2 website returning less than 10 rows:

SELECT link_text, idnum, ts FROM bd_content WHERE parent_id = 0 AND idnum <> 1

take no time at all (less than 1 second)

yet the following sorted query against the same table (same number of returned rows):

SELECT link_text, idnum, ts FROM bd_content WHERE parent_id = 0 AND idnum <> 1 ORDER BY seq_num

takes almost 20 seconds?

- Mark

Eric Sabine

Is the response time identical from Query Analyzer or the new IDE (SQL
Workbench - is it still called that?)

Mark Olbert

For those who might run into this same slow sorting behavior:

I'm not sure exactly what I did to "cure" it, but fiddling around with the configuration of SqlServer2005 services on my server, and
with the "surface area" management utility, apparently resolved the problem (I didn't do anything to the installation on my client
machine where the problem appeared).

- Mark