Right / Left / UBound / Split / Chr problems in a web service

Andi Twine

Hi all,

I really hope someone here can help !

I have designed and built an ASP.NET web service with Visual Studio .NET.

The web service outputs some dummy XML data when its called with some simple
parameters. I have tested the web service on the PC it was written on
(Windows XP, IIS 6, .NET 1.1, VS .NET) through the default HTTP / HTML
interface with Internet Explorer. All works fine.

I am now having problems running the web service on another .NET PC.

The target PC is Windows 2000 Server, with IIS and .NET framework v1.1. I
have un-installed and re-installed the .NET framework to be sure (using the
latest version from microsoft.com).

The problems are as follows ...

I try to use Chr$(34) (NOTE : I have also tried Chr(34) ), Left(string,
int), Right (string, int), Dim objXML As New Xml.XmlDocument, Split(string,
character) and UBound(array), but at every instance I get an error saying

Name 'Ubound' is not declared
or
Type 'Xml.XmlDocument' is not defined
etc etc

I am using the methods properly (with 'proper' values instead of what I've
written above) and everything works fine on the box with VS.Net on it.

To install the code, I copied the whole project folder from the WWWROOT
folder of the source PC to the WWWROOT folder of the target PC.

To run the code, I am using a web browser to surf to the ASMX file through
http://localhost/....

I have tried adding 'Imports System.String' at the top of the ASMX file, but
this then gives me a overloading error with the Split function (BC30519:
Overload resolution failed because no accessible 'Split' can be called
without a narrowing conversion:).

I am really confused, and not sure what to try next. I'm sure there must be
a book or article online somewhere that talks you through the process of
deploying a web service, but I can't find it ! I've spent several hours
looking through google, metacrawler, microsoft.com, gotdotnet and this
newsgroup and i'm really stuck !

Please, *please* can someone give me some help !!!

Many thanks,

Andi Twine.

Natty Gur

Hi,

Basically you need to copy the webservice directory from your
development machine under intetpub/wwwroot directory on your server.
Then you should mark web service directory as application in IIS MMC. It
seems to me that you just copy *.asmx file.

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Andi Twine

Thanks Natty.

This is what I thought I had done. I think I may be missing the
'application' setting in IIS.

Do you know of any good walkthroughs online that might help me in setting up
the folder as an application ?

Thanks,

Andi Twine.

Natty Gur

No,

But it's easy.

open the IIS MMC and select the web service folder. R. click and select
properties. select the directory tab and press the 'Create' button.