right prime numbers

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by johnmsimon@gmail.com, Nov 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    i need to develop a code that finds a prime right number between 2 and
    100000. and print one line of text that indicates if the int. is right
    prime. i am in beginning programing so complex is complicated. we are
    on a functions chapter. i am usung the square root to find the prime.
    so far i have accomplished this but i cant fgure how to divide this by
    ten so i can find the right prime. i am using c.

    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <math.h>

    int slowPrime(int); //function prototype

    int main()
    {
    int x; // loop counter
    int count = 0; // total numbers of prime found
    long prime;

    printf_s("The prime numbers from 1 to 10000 are:\n" );

    for ( x = 2; x <= 2147483647 ; x++ )
    {
    if ( Prime( x ) )
    {
    ++count; // count and print prime
    //printf_s("%10d", x );

    if ( count % 10 == 0 ) // new line after 10 values diplayed
    printf_s( "\n" );
    } // end for
    } // end if

    printf_s("%d prime numbers were found\n", count);

    return 0; // indicate successful termination
    } // end main

    int isRightPrime( int n ) // slow prime returns 1 if n is prime
    {
    int i; // loop counter

    for ( i = 2; i <= (int)sqrt (n); i++ )
    {
    if ( n % i == 0 )
    return 0;

    } // end for

    return 1;

    } // end function prime

    i know this can not be as complicated as i have made it.

    , Nov 8, 2006

  2. On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 wrote:

    > i need to develop a code that finds a prime right number between 2 and
    > 100000. and print one line of text that indicates if the int. is right
    > prime. i am in beginning programing so complex is complicated. we are
    > on a functions chapter. i am usung the square root to find the prime.
    > so far i have accomplished this but i cant fgure how to divide this by
    > ten so i can find the right prime. i am using c.

    Is "right prime" different from "prime"?

    > #include <stdio.h>
    > #include <math.h>
    >
    > int slowPrime(int); //function prototype
    >
    > int main()
    > {
    > int x; // loop counter

    Your indentation got messed up by your newsreader; I've restored proper
    indentation below.

    > int count = 0; // total numbers of prime found
    > long prime;
    >
    > printf_s("The prime numbers from 1 to 10000 are:\n" );

    'printf_s' should be 'printf', of course.

    > for ( x = 2; x <= 2147483647 ; x++ )

    When will this loop terminate if INT_MAX (the maximum possible value of
    an 'int') is 32767? What if INT_MAX is 2147483647? Remember, all ints
    are by definition at most INT_MAX --- there are no ints greater than
    INT_MAX.

    Also, you might consider how many even primes there are, and then
    modify your program accordingly.

    > {
    > if (Prime(x)) {

    I haven't seen a prototype for 'Prime' yet. You should put declarations
    for all your functions (except, usually, 'main') at the top of your
    program, or at least somewhere prior to their first use.

    > ++count; // count and print prime
    > //printf_s("%10d", x );
    >
    > if (count % 10 == 0) // new line after 10 values diplayed
    > printf_s( "\n" );
    > } // end for
    > } // end if
    >
    > printf_s("%d prime numbers were found\n", count);
    > return 0; // indicate successful termination
    > } // end main
    >
    > int isRightPrime( int n ) // slow prime returns 1 if n is prime
    > {
    > int i; // loop counter
    >
    > for (i=2; i <= (int)sqrt(n); i++) {

    As before, consider that there is only one even prime. Look up the
    "Sieve of Eratosthenes", if you haven't yet.

    Also notice that "i <= (int)sqrt(n)" is basically testing the same
    thing as "i*i <= n". Which of those two expressions do you think would
    execute faster on a real-world computer?

    > if (n % i == 0)
    > return 0;
    > } // end for
    >
    > return 1;
    > } // end function prime

    Where's the definition of 'Prime'? I also notice that the function
    'isRightPrime' was never used.

    > i know this can not be as complicated as i have made it.

    Modulo all those elementary errors and bugs, you've got the basic
    naive algorithm for prime testing. There's nothing wrong with using it
    for tiny numbers (say, numbers less than 2^32). For bigger numbers,
    there are faster algorithms.

    -Arthur

    Arthur J. O'Dwyer, Nov 8, 2006

  3. Eric Guest

    wrote:

    > i need to develop a code that finds a prime right number between 2 and
    > 100000. and print one line of text that indicates if the int. is right
    > prime. i am in beginning programing so complex is complicated. we are
    > on a functions chapter. i am usung the square root to find the prime.
    > so far i have accomplished this but i cant fgure how to divide this by
    > ten so i can find the right prime. i am using c.
    >

    > #include <stdio.h>
    > #include <math.h>
    >

    > int slowPrime(int); //function prototype
    >
    > int main()
    > {
    > int x; // loop counter
    > int count = 0; // total numbers of prime found
    > long prime;
    >

    > printf_s("The prime numbers from 1 to 10000 are:\n" );
    >

    > for ( x = 2; x <= 2147483647 ; x++ )
    > {
    > if ( Prime( x ) )
    > {
    > ++count; // count and print prime
    > //printf_s("%10d", x );
    >
    > if ( count % 10 == 0 ) // new line after 10 values diplayed
    > printf_s( "\n" );
    > } // end for
    > } // end if
    >

    > printf_s("%d prime numbers were found\n", count);
    >
    > return 0; // indicate successful termination
    > } // end main
    >
    > int isRightPrime( int n ) // slow prime returns 1 if n is prime
    > {
    > int i; // loop counter
    >
    > for ( i = 2; i <= (int)sqrt (n); i++ )
    > {
    > if ( n % i == 0 )
    > return 0;
    >
    > } // end for
    >
    > return 1;
    >
    > } // end function prime
    >

    > i know this can not be as complicated as i have made it.

    True, and I'm still a little unclear as to your question.
    But I can offer a couple of things that might be usefull.
    1:
    for ( x = 2; x <= 2147483647 ; x++ )
    is wasting cycles checking even numbers for primes.
    try this
    for ( x = 3; x <= 2147483647 ; x+=2 )
    you already know 2 is prime so do your other
    stuff on it before the for loop begins

    2:
    Is this the correct definition of a right prime?
    "if N is prime and all numbers obtained by successively removing the
    rightmost digits of N are prime then its a "right prime"."

    based on that here's a fn that should do it
    (its untested, off the top of my head, so it might be buggy)
    Eric

    const int true = 1;
    const int false = 0;
    int IsRightPrime(unsigned long long int PrimeNumber)
    {
    char Prime[33]; // set this to max digits in PrimeNumber + 1
    int i, lastchar;
    unsigned long long int testNum;

    sprintf(Prime, "%lld", PrimeNumber)
    lastchar = strlen(Prime)-1;
    for(i=lastchar; i>0; i--) {
    Prime = 0; // drop last digit
    testNum = strtoull(Prime, NULL, 10);
    if(!Prime(testNum)) return false
    }
    return true;
    }
    //--------------------------------------------------------------

    Eric, Nov 8, 2006
  4. Eric Guest

    Eric wrote:

> [...]

    > 1:
    > for ( x = 2; x <= 2147483647 ; x++ )
    > is wasting cycles checking even numbers for primes.
    > try this
    > for ( x = 3; x <= 2147483647 ; x+=2 )
    > you already know 2 is prime so do your other
    > stuff on it before the for loop begins
    >
    > 2:
    > Is this the correct definition of a right prime?
    > "if N is prime and all numbers obtained by successively removing the
    > rightmost digits of N are prime then its a "right prime"."
    >
    > based on that here's a fn that should do it
    > (its untested, off the top of my head, so it might be buggy)
    > Eric
    >
    > const int true = 1;
    > const int false = 0;
    > int IsRightPrime(unsigned long long int PrimeNumber)
    > {
    > char Prime[33]; // set this to max digits in PrimeNumber + 1

    ahem: (after staring at it a bit after posting...)

    char Prime[33]; // set this to max digits in PrimeNumber + 1
    int i, lastchar;
    unsigned long long int testNum;

    sprintf(Prime, "%lld", PrimeNumber);
    lastchar = strlen(Prime)-1;
    for(i=lastchar; i>0; i--) {
    Prime = 0; // drop last digit
    testNum = strtoull(Prime, NULL, 10);
    if(!IsPrime(testNum)) return false;
    }
    return true;
    }

    Eric, Nov 8, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >#include <stdio.h>
    >#include <math.h>

    >int slowPrime(int); //function prototype

    Your use of // comments indicate that you are using C99.

    >int main()

    If I recall correctly, that is not a valid declaration of main in C99.
    [But I could be misremembering.] Try

    int main(void)

    Not that it will likely make any noticable difference, but it will
    at least fix the language level incompatability.

    >for ( x = 2; x <= 2147483647 ; x++ )
    >{
    >if ( Prime( x ) )
    >{
    >++count; // count and print prime
    >//printf_s("%10d", x );

    You appear to have commented out printing of the primes. And you
    do not appear to be leaving a space between the primes being printed.

    Walter Roberson, Nov 8, 2006
  6. -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:
    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>#include <stdio.h>
    >>#include <math.h>

    >>int slowPrime(int); //function prototype

    > Your use of // comments indicate that you are using C99.

    Or a compiler that supports // comments as an extension (many of them
    do). But it's a bad idea to use // comments in code posted to Usenet;
    line wrapping can easily introduce syntax errors.

    >>int main()

    > If I recall correctly, that is not a valid declaration of main in C99.
    > [But I could be misremembering.] Try
    >
    > int main(void)
    >
    > Not that it will likely make any noticable difference, but it will
    > at least fix the language level incompatability.

    I believe "int main()" is valid, but "int main(void)" is preferred.

    ("int main()" declares main as a function taking an unspecified number
    and type(s) of arguments, but if it's part of a definition it's ok.
    But "int main(void)" is more explicit, and there's no good reason not
    to specify the "void" explicitly.)

    >>for ( x = 2; x <= 2147483647 ; x++ )
    >>{
    >>if ( Prime( x ) )
    >>{
    >>++count; // count and print prime
    >>//printf_s("%10d", x );

    > You appear to have commented out printing of the primes. And you
    > do not appear to be leaving a space between the primes being printed.

    Using the "%10d" format means there will be spaces between the primes
    as long as they're less than 10 digits -- assuming that the
    non-standard (or at least other-standard) "printf_s" behaves like
    "printf".

    Keith Thompson, Nov 8, 2006
  7. Keith Thompson said:
    > Walter Roberson writes:
    >> <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >>>int main()

    >> If I recall correctly, that is not a valid declaration of main in C99.
    >> [But I could be misremembering.]

    <snip>

    > I believe "int main()" is valid, but "int main(void)" is preferred.

    There is no need for us to recall or believe. We can simply consult the
    Standard, and then we'll know for sure. See 6.7.5.3, which says in part:

    "An empty list in a function declarator that is part of a definition of that
    function specifies that the function has no parameters."

    Therefore, in a function definition, int main() and int main(void) are
    equivalent, and therefore a function definition beginning with int main()
    is well-defined, by the equivalence rule of 5.1.2.2.1(1).

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Nov 8, 2006
  8. wrote:

    > i need to develop a code that finds a prime right number between 2 and
    > 100000. and print one line of text that indicates if the int. is right
    > prime.

    what's a "right prime"?

    > i am in beginning programing so complex is complicated. we are
    > on a functions chapter. i am usung the square root to find the prime.

    ??

    > so far i have accomplished this but i cant fgure how to divide this by
    > ten so i can find the right prime. i am using c.
    >
    > #include <stdio.h>
    > #include <math.h>
    >

    > int slowPrime(int); //function prototype

    useless comment, you never declare this function

    > int main()
    > {
    > int x; // loop counter
    > int count = 0; // total numbers of prime found
    > long prime;

    you never use this

    > printf_s("The prime numbers from 1 to 10000 are:\n" );

    what is print_s? You said you were going to print the primes below
    100000...

    > for ( x = 2; x <= 2147483647 ; x++ )

    2147483647 != 10000
    2147483647 != 100000

    > {
    > if ( Prime( x ) )

    no prototype in scope. No declaration.

    > {
    > ++count; // count and print prime
    > //printf_s("%10d", x );
    >
    > if ( count % 10 == 0 ) // new line after 10 values diplayed
    > printf_s( "\n" );
    > } // end for
    > } // end if

    if you laid your program out correctly you would (a) notice that these
    comments are incorrect (b) not need them

    > printf_s("%d prime numbers were found\n", count);
    >
    > return 0; // indicate successful termination
    > } // end main
    >
    > int isRightPrime( int n ) // slow prime returns 1 if n is prime

    this is never called

    > {
    > int i; // loop counter
    >
    > for ( i = 2; i <= (int)sqrt (n); i++ )
    > {
    > if ( n % i == 0 )
    > return 0;
    >
    > } // end for
    >
    > return 1;
    >
    > } // end function prime
    >
    > i know this can not be as complicated as i have made it.

    Now post something that compiles.

    --
    Nick Keighley

    -- C.A.R. Hoare

    Nick Keighley, Nov 8, 2006
  9. Nick Keighley said:

    > wrote:

    <snip>

    >> int slowPrime(int); //function prototype

    > useless comment, you never declare this function

    But he just did! That *is* a declaration!

    <snip>

    Richard Heathfield, Nov 8, 2006
  10. CBFalconer Guest

    Nick Keighley wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> i need to develop a code that finds a prime right number between
    >> 2 and 100000. and print one line of text that indicates if the
    >> int. is right prime.

    > what's a "right prime"?

    By analogy with a right whale, it is slow, fat and blubbery, easy
    to catch, and an endangered species.

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

    CBFalconer, Nov 8, 2006
  11. Default User Guest

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Nick Keighley wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> i need to develop a code that finds a prime right number between
    > >> 2 and 100000. and print one line of text that indicates if the
    > >> int. is right prime.

    > > what's a "right prime"?

    > By analogy with a right whale, it is slow, fat and blubbery, easy
    > to catch, and an endangered species.

    And floats after being harpooned.

    Brian

    Default User, Nov 8, 2006
  12. Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > Nick Keighley said:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > <snip>
    > >>
    > >> int slowPrime(int); //function prototype

    > > useless comment, you never declare this function

    > But he just did! That *is* a declaration!
    >
    > <snip>

    I swopped definition and declaration (again). :-(

    --
    Nick Keighley

    Nick Keighley, Nov 9, 2006
  13. Don Guest

    #include <stdio.h>

    /* This program implements a blindingly fast O(n^n) algorithm to
    find right prime numbers, using an elegant recursive method.
    It does not use the square root function, which is very slow. */
    int _(int n, int m, int d)
    {
    int r = m != n;
    for(int i=0; d && (i<n); i++)
    r *= _(n,(m<=n)?i*m:0,d-1)|!_(i,1,i);
    return r;
    }

    /*------------------------------------------
    Print right primes up to the requested value
    --------------------------------------------*/
    int main(int argc, char* argv[])
    {
    for(int n = 2; n < 100000; n++)
    printf("%d is%s right prime\n",n, _(n,1,n)?"" : " not");
    return 0;
    }

    Don, Nov 28, 2006
  14. "Don" <> writes:
    > wrote:
    >> i need to develop a code that finds a prime right number between 2 and
    >> 100000. and print one line of text that indicates if the int. is right
    >> prime. i am in beginning programing so complex is complicated. we are
    >> on a functions chapter. i am usung the square root to find the prime.
    >> so far i have accomplished this but i cant fgure how to divide this by
    >> ten so i can find the right prime. i am using c.
    >>
    >> i know this can not be as complicated as i have made it.

    > #include <stdio.h>
    >
    > /* This program implements a blindingly fast O(n^n) algorithm to
    > find right prime numbers, using an elegant recursive method.
    > It does not use the square root function, which is very slow. */

    [code snipped]

    Please don't top-post. See the following:

    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
    http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/writings/topposting.php

    I still have no idea what a "right prime" number is, as opposed to a
    prime number. Unless you happen to be familiar with the term, there's
    not much point in replying until and unless the OP explains what he
    really means.

    Keith Thompson, Nov 28, 2006
  15. Ksitami Guest

  16. "Ksitami" <> writes:
    > http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TruncatablePrime.html

    Please provide context when you post a followup. The context was my
    comment:
    | I still have no idea what a "right prime" number is, as opposed to a
    | prime number. Unless you happen to be familiar with the term, there's
    | not much point in replying until and unless the OP explains what he
    | really means.

    I see no evidence that what the web page describes is what the
    original poster had in mind. Since the OP was asked repeatedly what
    he meant by "right prime" and never bothered to answer, I suggest that
    we not waste any more time trying to answer his original question.

    (In fact, the code in the original post appears to deal only with
    ordinary primes.)

    I suggest the following guideline for this newsgroup. (I intend to
    follow it myself; others will do as they like).

    If you post a question, someone asks you for a clarification, and you
    don't reply, then it's safe to assume that you weren't really
    interested in getting an answer, and we needn't waste any further time
    until and unless you explain what you meant. (That's a general "you",
    not referring to any specific purpose.)

    I see a lot of discussions here in which people speculate at great
    length about what the OP really meant. If you enjoy such speculation,
    that's fine, but I suggest that we're under no obligation to figure
    out the meaning of an unclear question if the OP is unwilling to
    explain it to us.

    Keith Thompson, Nov 28, 2006
  17. Ksitami Guest

    function isprime(p:dword):boolean;
    var i,s:dword;
    begin
    result:=false;
    if p<2 then exit;
    if p<4 then begin
    result:=true;
    exit
    end;
    if (p mod 2=0) or (p mod 3=0) then
    exit;
    i:=5; s:=round(sqrt(p));
    while i<=s do begin
    if p mod i=0 then exit;
    i+=2;
    if p mod i=0 then exit;
    i+=4
    end;
    result:=true
    end;

    const
    nsp=5;
    sp:array[1..nsp] of dword=(1,3,5,7,9);

    procedure x(r:dword);
    var i:dword;
    begin
    if isprime(r) then begin
    writeln(r:9);
    for i:=1 to nsp do
    x(r*10 + sp);
    end;
    end;

    begin
    l:=0; lt:=0;
    x(2); writeln(#10);
    x(3); writeln(#10);
    x(5); writeln(#10);
    x(7); writeln(#10);
    writeln(lt);
    end.

    Ksitami, Nov 28, 2006
  18. Keith Thompson wrote:

    > (In fact, the code in the original post appears to deal only with
    > ordinary primes.)

    Well, if you find all the primes you know you have both the right and
    the wrong ones :)

    james of tucson, Nov 28, 2006
  19. CBFalconer Guest

    Ksitami wrote:

    > http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TruncatablePrime.html

    Incomprehensible. See below.

    --
    If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, ensure
    you quote enough for the article to make sense. Google is only

    CBFalconer, Nov 28, 2006
  20. "Ksitami" <> writes:
    > function isprime(p:dword):boolean;
    > var i,s:dword;

    [snip]

    You posted a program in some language that closely resembles Pascal.
    This is comp.lang.c. Your article is off-topic and inappriate here.

    Keith Thompson, Nov 29, 2006