right to files on mapped drives throught IIS and ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by chris, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. chris

    chris Guest

    Hello,

    On a local website but i want to access data on a remote drive (a mapped
    drive). The data are Foxpro files on a directeory of a mapped drive.

    I have a problem with security ( no tabel can be opened error 52 in foxpro )

    I search the web for a solution.

    Server 1 = Windows 2000 (Webserver) and server2 = database server (NT
    server)

    The two server belong to the same domain.

    i created a user on the databaseserver (domainserver) who has administrator
    rights .

    On the webserver

    I already used impersonate="true" in the config.web file

    I added this new user on the webserver

    and in the IIS : anonymus is set on with this new created user with his
    paswoord

    ON the DatabaseServer

    the database files themselves have full control for the user created.

    But still get no rights

    Does anyone know what i am doing wrong ?

    Christine

    chris, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Instead of setting anonymous user in the IIS properties, uncheck that box
    entirely and use window authentication. I'm pretty sure this will work

    A Lonely Programmer, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Nope - that wont work. The problem is there are 3 systems in the problem and
    in most cases, the third system (with Foxpro files) doesn't know who the
    user is that's attempting to access the files (the user running the browser)
    because the web server was never given the user's password to pass along.
    (look up Delegation and it's ramifications to Windows security)

    The ONLY way I got that to work was to use Basic authentication and make
    your user's log into your web application with valid credentials on the
    network. then, when the web server uses his credentials to access the
    third system, he's
    authenticated.

    The other solution you have is to put the files on the Web server, and use
    integrated windows authentication.

    Then, when the application goes off to the third
    "chris" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I tried but it it did not work. The data is on another server and the

    aspnet

    Bryan Donaldson, Feb 19, 2004