    Michael Hastings
    1 Thess 4:11 ... make it your ambition to lead a quiet life
    and attend to your own business and work with your hands...

    Michael Hastings, Jan 9, 2008

  2. Michael Hastings wrote:
    > I have an ASP file that was working just fine and now it does
    > not. I get a script timeout error message. I have not made any
    > changes so I suspect that my hosting service has done something to
    > the rights on my MDB file. Both the MDB and my script work fine when
    > hosted locally. In my FTP client, it shows that rights on the MDB
    > as rwxrwSrwt. Is
    > this the correct setting for my ASP to access it? This is hosted on a
    > Windows 2003 Server.

    All users of an mdb file must have Modify (read/write) permissions for
    the folder containing the database file. Since your site probably allows
    anonymous access, the IUSR (and possibly the IWAM) accounts require
    Modify rights for this folder.

    Furthermoer, if you have done any Compact/Repair operations on this
    database fiel, I have heard that this sometimes causes permissions to be
    reset to default, which may cause the loss of access you are seeing.

    Why are you so sure the timeout is being caused by lack of access to the
    mdb? ISTM you need to do some more debugging to figure out what is going
    on - use Response.Write and Response.End at various points in your
    script to find out where the failure is occurring.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 9, 2008