rinda and ruby numbers

Xaea Alvein

1. is there any way to pre-allocate memory used by tuplespace, or is the
memory used automatically set depending on the machine's free memory?

2. it is said that ruby numbers' sizes aren't fixed, and depend on
system's free memory. is there any ruby switch or something that can set
the sizes statically, and not "manually" by bitwising the numbers?

Timothy Goddard

Memory allocation is not your concern unless you are using the C API.
Memory is allocated as required and dead objects are garbage collected.
Although process memory will not yet shrink in Ruby (it doesn't have a
compacting garbage collector) it will be reused for new objects. Ruby
numbers will automatically generate instances of Bignum for any
operation which would overflow the range of a Fixnum object. The effect
of this is they grow as required to fit large numbers.

What exactly do you want to do? Maybe we can help if you explain your
problem.

Xaea Alvein

i am trying to control the behaviour of my tuplespace items (objects put
into tuplespace) by assuring that the sizes of the items are static
(i.e. numbers won't change class into Bignum from Fixnum, etc). so aside
bitwising, is there any other method to manipulate those numbers (ruby
switches maybe)?

Eric Hodel

i am trying to control the behaviour of my tuplespace items =20
(objects put
into tuplespace) by assuring that the sizes of the items are static
(i.e. numbers won't change class into Bignum from Fixnum, etc). so =20
aside
bitwising, is there any other method to manipulate those numbers (ruby
switches maybe)?

A Fixnum is always a Fixnum, and a Bignum is always a Bignum. If you =20=

subtract one from a Bignum at the Bignum/Fixnum boundary you'll get a =20=

Fixnum, and vice versa. The number won't change class underneath you =20=

(5 will always be a Fixnum, never a Bignum).

If you want to move the boundary switch from or to a 32 bit machine.

--=20
Eric Hodel - (e-mail address removed) - http://blog.segment7.net

A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?