rinda with other protocols

jm

Is it possible to get rinda to work (simply) with protocols other drb?
eg, soap and beep. Just have some insane ideas I'd like to play with.
If there is an alternative that works with other languages as well
please let me know. The main requirement is being able to locate
services in an automated language independent manner.

Jeff.

Eric Hodel

--Apple-Mail-14--1044954628

Is it possible to get rinda to work (simply) with protocols other drb?
eg, soap and beep.

Rinda::Ring is small enough that you could easily rewrite it, since its
all of 164 lines.
Just have some insane ideas I'd like to play with. If there is an
alternative that works with other languages as well please let me
know. The main requirement is being able to locate services in an
automated language independent manner.

Keep in mind that Rinda::Ring only works on a local subnet, since it
uses UDP broadcasts to locate services.

--
Eric Hodel - (e-mail address removed) - http://segment7.net
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--Apple-Mail-14--1044954628
name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-14--1044954628--

Sam Roberts

Quoteing (e-mail address removed), on Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 02:08:13PM +0900:
Rinda::Ring is small enough that you could easily rewrite it, since its
all of 164 lines.

Keep in mind that Rinda::Ring only works on a local subnet, since it
uses UDP broadcasts to locate services.

I'm in the process of adding Rendezvous support (pure ruby) to ruby's
resolv.rb using it's DNS support. I've got address lookups on my OS X
network working, but I need to get some bug fixes into the ruby core lib
before I can release.

After that, I want to add support for DNS-SD, which is the rendezvous
service discovery protocol, but is basically just a convention for
DNS record naming that works on mDNS or the more typical unicast
DNS.

I think this could be used in Rinda as a less ruby-specific way of
advertising services, and if the service advertised is a soap or
beep server port, that should work fine with DNS-SD.

Anyhow, just to let folks know that something is coming that might
help with this a bit, at least on a local area network.

Cheers,
Sam

Ilmari Heikkinen

Hi,
[...]

You're my hero, three hurrahs for a bright and well distributed Ruby
future!

jm

Not a bad idea except that I need to get other stuff done. The
Rendezvous idea mentioned by sroberts sounds promising and except that
the servers are linux based, but it may work with zero conf.

It just seems that in an era of open standards too many people are
still writing language specific protocols. Soap looked promising as a
way to avoid this. Letting me write in ruby yet let others develop,
where I currently work, to use cold fusion for their stuff. This has
worked well for some of the things done so far but I can foresee a
problem if I wish to move things around or have more than one machine
offering a service. I was hoping to find a location service that was a
cross platform standard. It seems the java guys have about 20 different
ways of doing this and every one else has their own way as well.

Jeff.

Sam Roberts

Quoteing (e-mail address removed), on Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 07:08:56AM +0900:
Not a bad idea except that I need to get other stuff done. The
Rendezvous idea mentioned by sroberts sounds promising and except that
the servers are linux based, but it may work with zero conf.

Lots of zeroconf support for linux, thought it might involve building
and running the servers. Apple's mDNS daemon is distributed as src, and
runs on linux, I believe.

Cheers,
Sam