RMagick 2.11.0 install fails with ImageMagick 6.5.4

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by pharrington, Sep 2, 2009.

  1. pharrington

    pharrington Guest

    Trying to install RMagick 2.11.0 was giving me the following error:

    Updating rmagick
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

    /usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb update
    checking for Ruby version >= 1.8.5... yes
    checking for cc... yes
    checking for Magick-config... yes
    checking for ImageMagick version >= 6.3.5... yes
    checking for HDRI disabled version of ImageMagick... yes
    checking for stdint.h... yes
    checking for sys/types.h... yes
    checking for wand/MagickWand.h... yes
    checking for InitializeMagick() in -lMagickCore... no
    checking for InitializeMagick() in -lMagick... no
    Can't install RMagick 2.11.0. Can't find the ImageMagick library or
    one of the dependent libraries. Check the mkmf.log file for more
    detailed information.

    *** extconf.rb failed ***
    necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
    details. You may need configuration options.

    Provided configuration options:
    --with-opt-dir
    --without-opt-dir
    --with-opt-include
    --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
    --with-opt-lib
    --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
    --with-make-prog
    --without-make-prog
    --srcdir=.
    --curdir
    --ruby=/usr/bin/ruby1.8
    --with-MagickCorelib
    --without-MagickCorelib
    --with-Magicklib
    --without-Magicklib

    Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/
    rmagick-2.11.0 for inspection.
    Results logged to /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-2.11.0/ext/RMagick/
    gem_make.out

    convert -version was:

    Version: ImageMagick 6.5.4-2 2009-07-04 Q8 OpenMP http://www.imagemagick.org
    Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2009 ImageMagick Studio LLC

    mkmf.log: http://pastebin.com/m776a3e36

    Installing ImageMagick 6.5.5 fixes all this though. Was there a typo
    in the required ImageMagick version for the build script?

    pharrington, Sep 2, 2009

  2. pharrington

    Tim Hunter Guest

    pharrington wrote:
    > Trying to install RMagick 2.11.0 was giving me the following error:
    >
    > Updating rmagick
    > Building native extensions. This could take a while...
    > ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
    > ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
    >
    > /usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb update
    > checking for Ruby version >= 1.8.5... yes
    > checking for cc... yes
    > checking for Magick-config... yes
    > checking for ImageMagick version >= 6.3.5... yes
    > checking for HDRI disabled version of ImageMagick... yes
    > checking for stdint.h... yes
    > checking for sys/types.h... yes
    > checking for wand/MagickWand.h... yes
    > checking for InitializeMagick() in -lMagickCore... no
    > checking for InitializeMagick() in -lMagick... no
    > Can't install RMagick 2.11.0. Can't find the ImageMagick library or
    > one of the dependent libraries. Check the mkmf.log file for more
    > detailed information.
    >
    > *** extconf.rb failed ***
    > Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
    > necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
    > details. You may need configuration options.
    >
    > Provided configuration options:
    > --with-opt-dir
    > --without-opt-dir
    > --with-opt-include
    > --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
    > --with-opt-lib
    > --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
    > --with-make-prog
    > --without-make-prog
    > --srcdir=.
    > --curdir
    > --ruby=/usr/bin/ruby1.8
    > --with-MagickCorelib
    > --without-MagickCorelib
    > --with-Magicklib
    > --without-Magicklib
    >

    > Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/
    > rmagick-2.11.0 for inspection.
    > Results logged to /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-2.11.0/ext/RMagick/
    > gem_make.out
    >

    > convert -version was:
    >
    > Version: ImageMagick 6.5.4-2 2009-07-04 Q8 OpenMP http://www.imagemagick.org
    > Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2009 ImageMagick Studio LLC
    >
    > mkmf.log: http://pastebin.com/m776a3e36
    >
    > Installing ImageMagick 6.5.5 fixes all this though. Was there a typo
    > in the required ImageMagick version for the build script?

    RMagick 2 works with ImageMagick 6.3.0 and later.

    Line 98 in mkmf.log says "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lltdl". That is, ld
    failed because ImageMagick says it needs libltdl.so but that library
    couldn't be found. Googling "imagemagick libltdl" uncovers a number of
    questions about this library and ImageMagick. I'm guessing that some
    change to ImageMagick 6.5.5 configuration resolved the problem.

    --
    MagickWand for Ruby - http://magickwand.rubyforge.org/

    Tim Hunter, Sep 2, 2009