RMagick convert EPS to PNG => poor quality

RHjorth

Hi all,

After some initial troubles having RMagick (and ImageMagick) working
on windows, it finally works and quite well I might add.

However when convertin a EPS (yes, a barcode) to PNG (and rotating it)
the quality are unusable poor - the code for doing it are faily
simple:

psc = Magick::ImageList.new(ps_name)
psc.density = "300x300"
psc = psc.rotate(270)
psc.write(im_name)

I think the density are ignored.

What else am I doing wrong?

Please help me out here :)

Tim Hunter

RHjorth said:
Hi all,

After some initial troubles having RMagick (and ImageMagick) working
on windows, it finally works and quite well I might add.

However when convertin a EPS (yes, a barcode) to PNG (and rotating it)
the quality are unusable poor - the code for doing it are faily
simple:

psc = Magick::ImageList.new(ps_name)
psc.density = "300x300"
psc = psc.rotate(270)
psc.write(im_name)

I think the density are ignored.

What else am I doing wrong?

Please help me out here :)

This is a tricky conversion that typically generates a lot of questions
in the ImageMagick forum. The problem is that the Ghostscript fonts
aren't designed for low-resolution devices like monitors.

Try specifying the density when reading the image, like this:

psc = Magick::Image.read(ps_name) { self.density = "300x300" }.first

If that doesn't help, open a Support Request on the RMagick project on
RubyForge and attach a copy of your EPS file. I'll be glad to take a
look and consult with the IM developers if necessary.

RHjorth

Hi Tim,

Absolutely brilliant - thanks!

/René