rmdir Question

George Kinley

Hi
On Win2K, When I use rmdir , if the directory is open in other command
window or in Explorer, it does not delete , and prints our "cannot remove
%"#" ,
my question is , is it possible to override this limitation
-

Mothra

George said:
Hi
On Win2K, When I use rmdir , if the directory is open in other command
window or in Explorer, it does not delete , and prints our "cannot remove
%"#" ,
my question is , is it possible to override this limitation
-
No, and with good reason.

Jürgen Exner

George said:
On Win2K, When I use rmdir , if the directory is open in other
command window or in Explorer, it does not delete , and prints our
"cannot remove %"#" ,
my question is , is it possible to override this limitation

And your Perl question is ....?

jue

George Kinley

hey, what is wrong with the question,
I want to know if it is possible to delete the dir, even if it is being
used, is it possible to do in perl,
all of as are not as good as your all are, but at least we can try,
it is not good to see comments like > I've arranged to ignore all of his
posts since that one.

James Willmore

hey, what is wrong with the question,
I want to know if it is possible to delete the dir, even if it is being
used, is it possible to do in perl,
all of as are not as good as your all are, but at least we can try,
it is not good to see comments like > I've arranged to ignore all of his
posts since that one.

Most of the time, *any* filesystem will *not* allow you to remove a
directory that is in use or is not empty. This is a protection of the
filesystem and *not* related to Perl in any way.

However, if you want to remove something using Perl, then read up on
'unlink' (`perldoc -f unlink`) and 'rmdir' (`perldoc -f rmdir`). And yes,
you should read *both* documents, because there is relavent information in
'unlink' as it pertains to 'rmdir'.

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
The trouble with a kitten is that When it grows up, it's always
a cat -- Ogden Nash.

Tad McClellan

[ Please do not top-post.
]

hey, what is wrong with the question,

It is not about Perl.

It is about your filesystem/OS.

I want to know if it is possible to delete the dir, even if it is being
used,

It depends on your filesystem/OS, not on the programming language
that you choose to use.

is it possible to do in perl,

It depends on your filesystem/OS.

If allowed by your system, then Perl's unlink() should do the job.

it is not good to see comments like > I've arranged to ignore all of his
posts since that one.

If you do not want to be killfiled for socially unacceptable behavior
then do not engage in socially unacceptable behavior.

You build your reputation, and then you live with it.
(so consider building a good one!)

George Kinley

Tad,
I must ask you at this point , Do you hate me , or my question. or my
Posting to this NG

Reasons:
You Wrote to me :
1 > [ Please do not top-post.
Have you seen the Posting Guidelines that are posted here
frequently?

2 > >> He's made off-topic posts before too:
As an Experience person in this field you should not humiliate others,

Tad McClellan said:
[ Please do not top-post.
]

George Kinley said:
Tad,
I must ask you at this point , Do you hate me , or my question. or my
Posting to this NG

Certainly not.

But I don't let rudeness pass unquestioned either.

You Wrote to me :

Note that I have also answered several of your questions, even
though you were spitting in my face while asking.

I am mean-spirited alright.

1 > [ Please do not top-post.

People here do not like top-posting. If you do it, they won't like you.

I would like them to like you, so I suggest that you do as they like.

I was/am truly trying to help you, whether you can see that it helps or not.

I have been here an awfully long time.

I know these folks, you just got here...

frequently?

Have you yet?

Or are you unconcerned with how people perceive you?

The guidelines have a bunch of other stuff that folks hereabouts
don't like either.

Since you did several of them in recent posts, I though you might
like to know what the others are. (before you become widely
auto-ignored.)

Top-posting is the newsgroup-equivalent of toilet paper stuck to your shoe.

I pointed it out to you rather than snicker and let you walk around
like that.

You can pull it off or leave it there, as you please (and live
with the results).

2 > >> He's made off-topic posts before too:

As an Experience person in this field

"this field" being programming, I guess?

That's fine but irrelevant in this sub-thread, as you have moved
the topic from programming to netiquette.

You are clearly not experienced at all with Usenet in general, or
with this newsgroup in particular, since top-posting is near
universally reviled.

you should not humiliate others,

I did not put the toilet paper on your shoe. You did.

I offered you a chance to avoid the humiliation.

You take issue with my attempts to help you avoid it.

The killfile is the Right Place.

[ snip 60 lines of yet more full-quote.
Top-posting is rude.
Are you _trying_ to be rude?
To me? To the thousands of other readers of your upside-down posts?
]

Eric Bohlman

Top-posting is the newsgroup-equivalent of toilet paper stuck to your
shoe.

I think a better analogy would be loudly chomping gum while asking someone
a question. Toilet paper stuck to your shoe makes you look silly, but it
doesn't really inconvenience anyone. Top posting, or talking with your
mouth full, makes other people have to work harder if they want to have a
conversation with you. Not A Good Thing when the other people are
volunteers.