RMI between Java 1.4 and Java 1.5 problem

Discussion in 'Java' started by Fran Cottone, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. Fran Cottone

    Fran Cottone Guest

    When attempting to RMI between a 1.4 client and a 1.5 server ( with a
    1.5 interface, remote object, stubs and skeletons using the -vcompat
    rmic flag ), I get the following error:

    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
    java.rmi.server.RemoteObjectInvocation
    Handler (no security manager: RMI class loader disabled)

    The plot thickens. The 1.4 client will connect to the 1.5 server if I
    run the 1.4 client classes in a 1.5 jvm. However, when I run the 1.4
    compiled classes in a 1.4 jvm I get no joy.

    Any ideas anyone?

    The context is this: getting a Java strored procedure in an Oracle
    database running a 1.4 jvm to send "trigger" information to a java
    1.5 server on a different machine.

    BTW, the rmi interface is very simple. One method, no return type and
    the only passed parameter is a string.
    Fran Cottone, Mar 22, 2005

  2. Fran Cottone

    Esmond Pitt Guest

    Fran Cottone wrote:
    > When attempting to RMI between a 1.4 client and a 1.5 server ( with a
    > 1.5 interface, remote object, stubs and skeletons using the -vcompat
    > rmic flag ), I get the following error:
    >
    > java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
    > java.rmi.server.RemoteObjectInvocation
    > Handler (no security manager: RMI class loader disabled)
    >
    > The plot thickens. The 1.4 client will connect to the 1.5 server if I
    > run the 1.4 client classes in a 1.5 jvm. However, when I run the 1.4
    > compiled classes in a 1.4 jvm I get no joy.

    You are running your server classes in a 1.5 JVM and they are exporting
    stubs based on RemoteObjectInvocationHandler because you haven't
    compiled the stubs with rmic. If you want to interoperate with <= 1.4
    clients you must provide stubs. RemoteObjectInvocationHandler is a 1.5-ism.

    EJP
    Esmond Pitt, Mar 22, 2005