RMI between Java 1.5 and 1.4

Fran Cottone

Is it possible to get a 1.4 rmi client to talk to a 1.5 server?
Achieving such "forward compatibility" is probably not on, so I'd
assume that you should compile your server's remote object ( and rmic
it ) using 1.4 and build the rest of your server using 1.5. However,
what do you do if the 1.4 unicast remote object subclass you create
makes calls on the rest of your server code written in 1.5?

Many thanks in advance.

Esmond Pitt

Fran said:
Is it possible to get a 1.4 rmi client to talk to a 1.5 server?
Achieving such "forward compatibility" is probably not on, so I'd
assume that you should compile your server's remote object ( and rmic
it ) using 1.4 and build the rest of your server using 1.5. However,
what do you do if the 1.4 unicast remote object subclass you create
makes calls on the rest of your server code written in 1.5?

Many thanks in advance.

Yes it is possible as long as you provide stubs. RMI is entirely
version-compatible apart from the need to provide (i) skeletons if you
want to support {client = 1.1, server >= 1.2} and (ii) stubs if you want
to support {1.1 <= client <= 1.4, server >= 1.5}. All the other cases work.