RMI connection refused... eventually

Qu0ll

I have a simple RMI server and a stress testing application is able to
connect to it about 400 times and then suddenly future connection attempts
result in a connection refused exception.

What would be the possible reasons for refusing connection when obviously
connection is permitted by the security manager and firewall initially? Is
there some parameter that controls the maximum number of RMI connections? I
don't think it is memory related as the server is running with a 1GB heap
and varying it makes no difference.

This is the exception:

java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: 10.1.1.3; nested
exception is:
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:601)
at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(TCPChannel.java:198)
at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCPChannel.java:184)
at com.qu0ll.ServerDaemon_Stub.registerApplet(Unknown Source)
at com.qu0ll.StressTester$AppletThread.run(StressTester.java:73)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
at
sun.rmi.transport.proxy.RMIDirectSocketFactory.createSocket(RMIDirectSocketFactory.java:22)
at
sun.rmi.transport.proxy.RMIMasterSocketFactory.createSocket(RMIMasterSocketFactory.java:128)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:595)
... 5 more

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Esmond Pitt

Qu0ll said:
I have a simple RMI server and a stress testing application is able to
connect to it about 400 times and then suddenly future connection
attempts result in a connection refused exception.

Is the server a Windows box and the client a Unix box? Windows has a
nasty habit of issuing resets when the listen backlog queue fills, and a
compensating behaviour in the Windows implementation of connect(). AFAIK
Unix connects() don't have that so when they get a reset you get it.

Nigel Wade

Qu0ll said:
I have a simple RMI server and a stress testing application is able to
connect to it about 400 times and then suddenly future connection attempts
result in a connection refused exception.

What would be the possible reasons for refusing connection when obviously
connection is permitted by the security manager and firewall initially? Is
there some parameter that controls the maximum number of RMI connections? I
don't think it is memory related as the server is running with a 1GB heap
and varying it makes no difference.

This is the exception:

java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: 10.1.1.3; nested
exception is:

I saw exactly the same thing when I was doing applet/servlet comms. My applet on
startup had the option to load the last 24hrs of data. It was programmed to
read each data record on a new socket. If I did this then watched the network
connections using netstat I could see that Windows wasn't closing the sockets
when they were actually closed, instead it seemed to "batch" the closes. There
would be hundreds of sockets in the TIME_WAIT state, then a whole load of them
would all close together.

This caused problems when the sockets were being opened faster than the
"batched" closes shut them down. The system quickly reached its limit on open
sockets. Attempting a new connection whilst the system is in this state results
in connection refused.

This situation didn't occur on Linux, it shuts down sockets when they are
actually closed. I presume it's just the way Microsoft have implemented their
TCP/IP stack (or if you are believer in conspiracies, they've done it
deliberately to encourage you to buy the much more expensive server versions of
Windows).

Qu0ll

Nigel Wade said:
[...]

Thanks Nigel - I figured it had something to do with a limitation of
Windows. It's actually a Vista x64 machine that I am running it on at the
moment. So, I guess then I should be hosting this server on a Linux
machine? Is that the only way around this problem?

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Lew

Qu0ll said:
Thanks Nigel - I figured it had something to do with a limitation of
Windows. It's actually a Vista x64 machine that I am running it on at
the moment. So, I guess then I should be hosting this server on a Linux
machine? Is that the only way around this problem?

Certainly not. There's Solaris, FreeBSD, ...

Nigel Wade

Qu0ll said:
Thanks Nigel - I figured it had something to do with a limitation of
Windows. It's actually a Vista x64 machine that I am running it on at the
moment. So, I guess then I should be hosting this server on a Linux
machine? Is that the only way around this problem?

The problem I had was on the client, not the server. The server was/is running
Linux. I have no idea how a server process running under Windows (or Windows
itself) would react to that level of socket creation/destruction. You can
easily see if this is the problem by running netstat in a command shell. This
should show you every network connection, and its current state. If you see
lots of sockets in one of the shutdown states (TIMED_WAIT, CLOSE_WAIT,
FIN_WAIT_1/2 etc.) then you have a similar problem to mine.

Is your stress test a realistic load? Is there a way to change the load so that
it doesn't require the creation/destruction of sockets at such a high rate? I
thought one of the improvements in Vista was the TCP/IP stack, although it may
well be that this method of closing sockets down is more efficient for a client
which isn't expected to be opening/closing sockets at such a high rate. After
all, this is not a normal load for a client and the Windows most people have is
the client version.

I worked around the problem by changing the protocol so the client didn't need
to create (and destroy) so many sockets.