RMI Marshal exception & ArrayList

Martin Bradley

Folks

I am trying to call method on a J2EE server from a Swing client. The
methods has a signature shown below, exceptions thrown are ommited as I
don't have the code to hand. The outline of the classes is shown at the
bottom of the post.

public void saveClassA(Class A);

saveClassA works if no class C objects exist 'inside' the class A
(within B::listOfCOjbects)

All the relevant classes implement Serialisable and have no arg
Constructors available. The up to date recompiled classes are available
to a freshly restarted server and GUI.

Sorry I don't have a stack trace availabe - No news group access at
work, which is dum I know.

I'm using Java 1.3, not under my control. Please don't comment on the
age of this release of Java as it deters others from posting useful
information. This has happen my posts in the past.

This has been giving me jip over this past few days, I have asked Google
many different questions on this problem, posting is a last resort.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Martin.

class A implements Serializable{
String name;
ArrayList listOfBObjects;
}

class B implements Serializable{

ArrayList listOfCObjects;

}

class C implements Serializable{

String name;
String address;

Raymond DeCampo

Martin said:
Folks

I am trying to call method on a J2EE server from a Swing client. The
methods has a signature shown below, exceptions thrown are ommited as I
don't have the code to hand. The outline of the classes is shown at the
bottom of the post.

You do not mention how you are invoking the method. Is it in an EJB
(most likely)? via JMS? via a web service? via a servlet? JSP?
public void saveClassA(Class A);

saveClassA works if no class C objects exist 'inside' the class A
(within B::listOfCOjbects)

All the relevant classes implement Serialisable and have no arg
Constructors available. The up to date recompiled classes are available
to a freshly restarted server and GUI.

Sorry I don't have a stack trace availabe - No news group access at
work, which is dum I know.

Can you email it to yourself and relay?

Also, what app server are you using?
I'm using Java 1.3, not under my control. Please don't comment on the
age of this release of Java as it deters others from posting useful
information. This has happen my posts in the past.

This has been giving me jip over this past few days, I have asked Google
many different questions on this problem, posting is a last resort.

You haven't given us much to go on...
Thanks for any suggestions.
Martin.

class A implements Serializable{
String name;
ArrayList listOfBObjects;
}

class B implements Serializable{

ArrayList listOfCObjects;

}

class C implements Serializable{

String name;
String address;
}

HTH,
Ray

Martin Bradley

You do not mention how you are invoking the method. Is it in an EJB
(most likely)? via JMS? via a web service? via a servlet? JSP?

Calling a J2EE Session Bean from a Swing GUI.
Also, what app server are you using?
Powertier App :-(

You haven't given us much to go on...
sorry.

thanks for the reply
Martin.

Raymond DeCampo

Martin said:
Calling a J2EE Session Bean from a Swing GUI.

Powertier App :-(

sorry.

You haven't even indicated what the problem is. When does the error
occur? Is the error on the client or the server? Both? A stack trace
would be ideal.

Ray