    and I'm using java 1.3.1_01.

    What should I do? Thanks

    boyScout, Feb 20, 2007

  2. boyScout

    rajatag Guest

    On Feb 20, 12:01 pm, "boyScout" <> wrote:
    > hi I need help, I'm learning rmi and when trying to run the server
    > code I get an error:
    > Exception in thread "main"
    > java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:srcEcho(Unsupported major.minor
    > version 50.0):
    > at ....
    > at ....
    > at ....
    > and I'm using java 1.3.1_01.
    >
    > What should I do? Thanks

    You are probably using two different versions of Java for compiling /
    executing.

    rajatag, Feb 20, 2007

  3. boyScout

    Sanjay Guest

    boyScout wrote:
    > hi I need help, I'm learning rmi and when trying to run the server
    > code I get an error:
    > Exception in thread "main"
    > java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:srcEcho(Unsupported major.minor
    > version 50.0):
    > at ....
    > at ....
    > at ....
    > and I'm using java 1.3.1_01.
    >
    > What should I do? Thanks

    I guess your rmi server needs 1.5 rather than 1.3

    Sanjay, Feb 20, 2007
  4. boyScout

    Lew Guest

    "boyScout" wrote:
    >> hi I need help, I'm learning rmi and when trying to run the server
    >> code I get an error:
    >> Exception in thread "main"
    >> java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:srcEcho(Unsupported major.minor
    >> version 50.0):
    >> at ....
    >> at ....
    >> at ....
    >> and I'm using java 1.3.1_01.
    >>
    >> What should I do? Thanks

    Java 1.3 is obsolete. Java 1.4 is getting ancient. Java 5 is the previous
    version. Java 6 is the current version.

    The class was compiled with a version of Java that uses classfile version
    50.0. I am not sure, I leave the Googling to you, but I think that is a class
    file generated by Java 6. You tried to run it under the obsolete, unsupported
    Java 1.3 and it failed.

    Either compile the class with "-target 1.3" or upgrade to a current,
    non-obsolete version of Java.

    - Lew

    Lew, Feb 20, 2007
  5. boyScout

    boyScout Guest

    sorry I don't understand, last week I installed java 6 and now if i
    did understand you're trying to tell to install java 5. I'm still
    confused. Why is my class version of 1.3 when I have java 6. I have
    both jdk 1.6.0 and jre 1.6.6. I can't understand why it don't work.

    boyScout, Feb 20, 2007
  6. boyScout

    Jujo Guest

    "Lew" <> wrote in message
    > "boyScout" wrote:
    >>> hi I need help, I'm learning rmi and when trying to run the server
    >>> code I get an error:
    >>> Exception in thread "main"
    >>> java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:srcEcho(Unsupported major.minor
    >>> version 50.0):
    >>> at ....
    >>> at ....
    >>> at ....
    >>> and I'm using java 1.3.1_01.
    >>>
    >>> What should I do? Thanks

    > Java 1.3 is obsolete. Java 1.4 is getting ancient. Java 5 is the previous
    > version. Java 6 is the current version.
    >
    > The class was compiled with a version of Java that uses classfile version
    > 50.0. I am not sure, I leave the Googling to you, but I think that is a
    > class file generated by Java 6. You tried to run it under the obsolete,
    > unsupported Java 1.3 and it failed.
    >
    > Either compile the class with "-target 1.3" or upgrade to a current,
    > non-obsolete version of Java.
    >
    > - Lew

    Hmm not true Java 1.4 is geeting ancient - in fact it`s still used in most
    business projects...

    Jujo

    Jujo, Feb 20, 2007
  7. boyScout

    Nigel Wade Guest

    boyScout wrote:

    > sorry I don't understand, last week I installed java 6 and now if i
    > did understand you're trying to tell to install java 5.

    No, Lew didn't suggest that, I don't know where you got that idea from.

    > I'm still
    > confused. Why is my class version of 1.3 when I have java 6. I have
    > both jdk 1.6.0 and jre 1.6.6. I can't understand why it don't work.

    The other way around. Your compiler is Java 6. The JRE you are using to execute
    the byte-code (maybe either java or rmiregistry if you are using that) is from
    an older version of Java and cannot use the 50.0 version classfiles.

    E-mail :
    Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

    Nigel Wade, Feb 20, 2007
  8. boyScout

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Jujo wrote:

    > Hmm not true Java 1.4 is geeting ancient - in fact it`s still used in most
    > business projects...

    Both can be true at once ;-)

    Businesses often like to use the oldest available version of software that
    still works. So often the most popular version is also ancient...

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Feb 20, 2007