rmi problems

boyScout

hi I need help, I'm learning rmi and when trying to run the server
code I get an error:
Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:srcEcho(Unsupported major.minor
version 50.0):
at ....
at ....
at ....
and I'm using java 1.3.1_01.

What should I do? Thanks

rajatag

hi I need help, I'm learning rmi and when trying to run the server
code I get an error:
Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:srcEcho(Unsupported major.minor
version 50.0):
at ....
at ....
at ....
and I'm using java 1.3.1_01.

What should I do? Thanks

You are probably using two different versions of Java for compiling /
executing.

Sanjay

boyScout said:
hi I need help, I'm learning rmi and when trying to run the server
code I get an error:
Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:srcEcho(Unsupported major.minor
version 50.0):
at ....
at ....
at ....
and I'm using java 1.3.1_01.

What should I do? Thanks

I guess your rmi server needs 1.5 rather than 1.3

Lew

Java 1.3 is obsolete. Java 1.4 is getting ancient. Java 5 is the previous
version. Java 6 is the current version.

The class was compiled with a version of Java that uses classfile version
50.0. I am not sure, I leave the Googling to you, but I think that is a class
file generated by Java 6. You tried to run it under the obsolete, unsupported
Java 1.3 and it failed.

Either compile the class with "-target 1.3" or upgrade to a current,
non-obsolete version of Java.

- Lew

boyScout

sorry I don't understand, last week I installed java 6 and now if i
did understand you're trying to tell to install java 5. I'm still
confused. Why is my class version of 1.3 when I have java 6. I have
both jdk 1.6.0 and jre 1.6.6. I can't understand why it don't work.

Jujo

Lew said:
Java 1.3 is obsolete. Java 1.4 is getting ancient. Java 5 is the previous
version. Java 6 is the current version.

The class was compiled with a version of Java that uses classfile version
50.0. I am not sure, I leave the Googling to you, but I think that is a
class file generated by Java 6. You tried to run it under the obsolete,
unsupported Java 1.3 and it failed.

Either compile the class with "-target 1.3" or upgrade to a current,
non-obsolete version of Java.

- Lew

Hmm not true Java 1.4 is geeting ancient - in fact it`s still used in most
business projects...

Jujo

Nigel Wade

boyScout said:
sorry I don't understand, last week I installed java 6 and now if i
did understand you're trying to tell to install java 5.

No, Lew didn't suggest that, I don't know where you got that idea from.
I'm still
confused. Why is my class version of 1.3 when I have java 6. I have
both jdk 1.6.0 and jre 1.6.6. I can't understand why it don't work.

The other way around. Your compiler is Java 6. The JRE you are using to execute
the byte-code (maybe either java or rmiregistry if you are using that) is from
an older version of Java and cannot use the 50.0 version classfiles.

Chris Uppal

Jujo said:
Hmm not true Java 1.4 is geeting ancient - in fact it`s still used in most
business projects...

Both can be true at once ;-)

Businesses often like to use the oldest available version of software that
still works. So often the most popular version is also ancient...

-- chris