RMI - "Remote" Smart Proxy

Discussion in 'Java' started by Terry Paterson, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Hi There,

    I'm developing a 3-Tier application using RMI - and attempting to use
    "Smart Proxys"

    (Proxy objects on the client which cache some of the remote objects
    state, and get other state / deligate other methods to the remote
    object)

    I don't have any problem getting a "Smart Proxy" to work -- but what I
    would like is to have my "Smart Proxy" observe the Remote Object - in
    order to find out about changes to the cached state.

    I want to do this by having my S.P. implement a RemoteObserver
    interface :

    public interface RemoteObserver extends Remote {
    public void update(RemoteObservable obs, Object data) throws
    RemoteException;
    }

    and this would of course mean that instead of my S.P. being serialized
    and sent across the network -- I would instead only get a reference to
    a Remote S.P. which exists on the server - and negating the whole
    reason for having the S.P. in the first place.

    I gather from a few other articles I've found scattered around that
    this might be possible using a modified class loader -- but havn't
    found any examples...

    Can anyone give me a pointer as to how I might solve this problem ?

    Many Thanks

    --
    Terry Paterson
    Analyst/Programmer