    Thanks.

    --
    JSC
    JScoobyCed, Jan 28, 2005

  2. JScoobyCed

    Dag Sunde Guest

    "JScoobyCed" <> wrote in message
    news:41f9c039$0$2048$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am developping an application using RMI to perform operation remotely.
    > There are a lots of different "operations", and the way we are doing is
    > just fine.
    > Now, I got a developper this morning that proposed to use RMI over IIOP.
    > I was unable to provide a valid reason why use/not to use it.
    >
    > Is there a comparative of RMI Vs RMI over IIOP, providing the pros and
    > cons of each ?
    > Is the complexity of RMI over IIOP really higher than RMI ?

    It is slightly more complex, yes... But that is not the main issue.

    I've been working for the last year now removing all CORBA (read IIOP)
    layers of our systems, because it is a pain in the butt when it comes
    to proxies, firewalls, routers, etc, as long as you don't have complete
    control of those. And one usually doesn't, at customer-sites.

    I've turned most of our old Corba servers into web-services instead, and
    the performance-loss in neglectible as long as the network-layer is
    there anyway.

    --
    Dag.
    Dag Sunde, Jan 28, 2005