    then each record can only grow as much as the data type imposes. am i
    correct?

    peace~!
    leggolas, Mar 14, 2005

  2. leggolas wrote:
    > a student of mine asked this rather interesting questions. he asked
    > where the db files are stored (im using the Java's Wireless Toolkit
    > 2.1). after all, RMS is said to be persistent so it means, a db file
    > should be created and saved in the local machine (im using the default
    > j2me emulator).

    $WTKDIR/appdb

    > second question, are there any restrictions imposed on how large a db
    > file can be?

    That depends on the device. Devices are required to provide a *minimum*
    of 8k, but there are no *maximums* defined in the MIDP specification.
    So, OEMs can give as much as they want, but have to provide at *least* 8k.

    > how about records?

    The number of records is limited by the indexing scheme, which uses an
    int. So you can have from 0 to 2,147,483,647 records, assuming there is
    sufficient memory to hold them all. :)

    > im thinking that since its in bytes,
    > then each record can only grow as much as the data type imposes. am i
    > correct?

    Each record can, as with the store, hold from 0 to 2,147,483,647 bytes
    since it's only limit is the way of indexing the elements in the record.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit my homepage: http://mcpierce.multiply.com
    Darryl Pierce, Mar 14, 2005

  3. leggolas

    leggolas Guest

    thanks darryl. that cleared up a lot of questions. i finally found
    the file but interstingly enough, i didnt expect the file to be
    prefixed with "run_by_class_storage".

    in either case, would i be able to open this with another program which
    reads db files (say microsoft access)?
    leggolas, Mar 15, 2005
  4. leggolas wrote:
    > thanks darryl. that cleared up a lot of questions. i finally found
    > the file but interstingly enough, i didnt expect the file to be
    > prefixed with "run_by_class_storage".
    >
    > in either case, would i be able to open this with another program which
    > reads db files (say microsoft access)?

    I doubt it, since the file's not a Microsoft Access file. And, that file
    is only using whatever format Sun decided upon for the emulator. It's
    not necessarily going to be the format used by a real handset.

    Darryl Pierce, Mar 21, 2005
  5. leggolas

    leggolas Guest

    wow! interesting! thanks!