robots.txt and search engines for frames website

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Daniel Vesma, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Daniel Vesma

    Daniel Vesma Guest

    Hi,

    I'm developing a website for a photographic agent at the moment. The
    site using frames for navigation, thumbnails etc. We want to get
    the site listed on google (and ideally other search engines), so I was
    wondering how best to construct the site to get it listed.

    Should I use a robots.txt file to keep googlebot away from all pages
    other than my index.html (the FRAMESET), and put a description of
    the site in the <NOFRAMES></NOFRAMES> area?

    How would you guys handle this? I've been out of the game for quite a
    while, and search-engines seam to have changed. You have to pay to get
    listed on some?

    Ohhhhh, give me the days of IE4 and designing for 640x480!

    DV

    Daniel Vesma, Jun 30, 2003

  2. Daniel Vesma wrote:
    > Ohhhhh, give me the days of IE4 and designing for 640x480!

    Without wishing to start a war <takes cover anyway> when ie4 was released
    the 21" monitor on my workstation was set to a resolution somewhat different
    to 640x800 and the O/S I was using then allowed windows to be resized
    anyway.

    --
    William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jun 30, 2003

  3. Daniel Vesma

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Jun 30, 2003
  4. Daniel Vesma

    Art Sackett Guest

    Daniel Vesma <> wrote:

    Well howdy, Young Daniel! Long time no see. I hope all's well in your
    world.

    > I'm developing a website for a photographic agent at the moment. The
    > site using frames for navigation, thumbnails etc. We want to get
    > the site listed on google (and ideally other search engines), so I was
    > wondering how best to construct the site to get it listed.

    Frames ain't it. ;-)

    > How would you guys handle this?

    This is one of those cases where I'd look to using a preprocessor such
    as WML (if the content won't change often) or using SSI (if the content
    will be changing often).

    > I've been out of the game for quite a
    > while, and search-engines seam to have changed. You have to pay to get
    > listed on some?

    It's certainly worth considering how much/little referral traffic each
    can be expected to deliver before coughing up the cash. One can make a
    good living on the referral traffic from Google and DMOZ, having never
    spent a dime for a listing.

    I have a client who shall remain nameless who spends far more money on
    keeping their ranking at Overture than they'd have spent paying me to
    keep them topped out at Google, and they'd have made far more sales as
    a result. They're slowly coming to that realization... and it's only
    been four years since we last updated their site. Wow.

    > Ohhhhh, give me the days of IE4 and designing for 640x480!

    No.

    --
    Art Sackett,
    Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication

    Art Sackett, Jun 30, 2003
  5. Daniel Vesma

    Daniel Vesma Guest

    >>I'm developing a website for a photographic agent at the moment. The
    >>site using frames for navigation, thumbnails etc.

    > that is not a reason to use frames. remove the frames.

    I know frames cause all sorts of hastle, and that they're not ideal for
    getting your site listed. Indeed if designing from scratch, I wouldn't
    use them at all. However, the client had a basic design in mind, and it
    did require frames. The site is aimed at people who work in high-up jobs
    in london advertising agencys. Those people will be using decent spec
    machines.

    Cheers,

    DV

    Daniel Vesma, Jul 1, 2003
  6. Daniel Vesma

    brucie Guest

    In post <bdrd4g$k7h$1$>
    Daniel Vesma said...

    >>>I'm developing a website for a photographic agent at the moment. The
    >>>site using frames for navigation, thumbnails etc.

    >> that is not a reason to use frames. remove the frames.

    > I know frames cause all sorts of hastle, and that they're not ideal for
    > getting your site listed.

    they're not ideal for much of anything.

    > Indeed if designing from scratch, I wouldn't
    > use them at all. However, the client had a basic design in mind, and it
    > did require frames.

    i find that hard to believe

    > The site is aimed at people who work in high-up jobs
    > in london advertising agencys. Those people will be using decent spec
    > machines.

    "decent spec machines" has nothing to do with how crap they are. you
    should be removing the frames not continuing the evilness.

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 01/July/2003 05:37:12 pm kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Jul 1, 2003
  7. Daniel Vesma

    brucie Guest

    In post <bdrfoq$5ad$1$>
    Daniel Vesma said...

    >>>Indeed if designing from scratch, I wouldn't
    >>>use them at all. However, the client had a basic design in mind, and it
    >>>did require frames.

    >> i find that hard to believe

    > He wanted a lot of large thumbnails in a band that could scroll, and to
    > have a large image appear above them when one is clicked on. Sounds like
    > frames to me.

    sounds like CSS to me

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 01/July/2003 06:17:27 pm kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Jul 1, 2003
  8. Daniel Vesma

    Daniel Vesma Guest

    >>He wanted a lot of large thumbnails in a band that could scroll, and to
    >>have a large image appear above them when one is clicked on. Sounds like
    >>frames to me.

    > sounds like CSS to me

    Could that be achieved in CSS?

    Daniel Vesma, Jul 1, 2003
  9. Daniel Vesma

    brucie Guest

    In post <bdrgg2$ov2$1$>
    Daniel Vesma said...

    >>>He wanted a lot of large thumbnails in a band that could scroll, and to
    >>>have a large image appear above them when one is clicked on. Sounds like
    >>>frames to me.

    >> sounds like CSS to me

    > Could that be achieved in CSS?

    yep, i'm working on it now, gimme a while. i'm just finding some
    suitable images.

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 01/July/2003 06:34:47 pm kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Jul 1, 2003
  10. Daniel Vesma

    brucie Guest

    In post <bdrh46$106qm8$>
    brucie said...

    >>> sounds like CSS to me

    >> Could that be achieved in CSS?

    > yep, i'm working on it now, gimme a while. i'm just finding some
    > suitable images.

    http://usenet.alt-html.org/bugs/bugs.php

    scroll doesn't appear until the browser width is around 770px. scroll
    behavior is buggy with opera7 but still usable. seems ok with IE6 and
    moz1.4.

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 01/July/2003 10:36:49 pm kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Jul 1, 2003
  11. Daniel Vesma

    PeterMcC Guest

    brucie wrote:
    > In post <bdrh46$106qm8$>
    > brucie said...

    >>> Could that be achieved in CSS?

    >> yep, i'm working on it now, gimme a while. i'm just finding some
    >> suitable images.

    > http://usenet.alt-html.org/bugs/bugs.php
    >
    > scroll doesn't appear until the browser width is around 770px. scroll
    > behavior is buggy with opera7 but still usable. seems ok with IE6 and
    > moz1.4.

    'kin brilliant.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Jul 1, 2003
  12. Daniel Vesma

    David Graham Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In post <bdrh46$106qm8$>
    > brucie said...

    like

    > >> Could that be achieved in CSS?

    > > yep, i'm working on it now, gimme a while. i'm just finding some
    > > suitable images.

    > http://usenet.alt-html.org/bugs/bugs.php

    I would really like to study your php - any chance of making it available?
    thanks
    David

    David Graham, Jul 1, 2003
  13. Daniel Vesma

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Jul 1, 2003
  14. Daniel Vesma

    Daniel Vesma Guest

    > http://usenet.alt-html.org/bugs/bugs.php
    >
    > scroll doesn't appear until the browser width is around 770px. scroll
    > behavior is buggy with opera7 but still usable. seems ok with IE6 and
    > moz1.4.

    That is well smart mate. I stand corrected.

    DV

    Daniel Vesma, Jul 2, 2003
  15. Daniel Vesma

    David Graham Guest

    David Graham, Jul 2, 2003
  16. In article <bdrvtm$10dlpt$>,
    says...
    > In post <bdrh46$106qm8$>
    > brucie said...

    > http://usenet.alt-html.org/bugs/bugs.php

    Awesome stuff. I hadn't ever really thought about how php & css could
    conspire to achieve effects like this.

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jul 2, 2003