/robots.txt at end of URL?

George Ter-Saakov

Let me asking why do you want to strip it?
robors.txt is asked by automatic robots that collect information. Like
google or yaho.

But in your case apparently it's some lame robot that can not parse out url
correctly simply ads /robot.txt to the end of url and asks for it from the
server.
So why would you worry what kind of garbage it will get in return from your
page.
All important robots you should be worring about like Google or Yahoo parse
out url correctly.

So i am saying just ignore it. It's not human.

George.

Les Caudle

Well, it creates an event in my event log that would distract me from real
events caused by users who had problems.

Would be nice to be able to globally deal with it.

Regards, Les Caudle

George Ter-Saakov

Well, the problem is that this time it's robot.txt. Next time (with another
bad robot) it will be something else.
You can not fix it for every bad robot that out there.
Override Application_OnError and send an email to yourself every time
something bad happened. Then you can use Email's rules to filter out the
most annoying ones

George.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Les,

I agree with George, as long as your web site can be accessed publicly, you
cannot guarantee every URL request is valid or in expected manner.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support