Roedy Green...

Discussion in 'Java' started by Gorf, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. Gorf

    Gorf Guest

    Gorf, Jun 23, 2004

  2. Gorf

    Andy Fish Guest

    the trick is that if he doesn't already have a link, he writes a new section
    and puts it up

    I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I suspect that's what happens

    Andy Fish, Jun 23, 2004

  3. "Andy Fish" <> wrote in message
    > the trick is that if he doesn't already have a link, he writes a new

    section
    > and puts it up
    >
    > I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I suspect that's what happens

    So, given a sufficiently long TCP/IP timeout, Roedy would have a link for
    everything.

    ;-)

    Matt Humphrey http://www.iviz.com/

    Matt Humphrey, Jun 23, 2004
  4. Gorf

    Andy Fish Guest

    "Matt Humphrey" <> wrote in message

    > "Andy Fish" <> wrote in message
    > > the trick is that if he doesn't already have a link, he writes a new

    > section
    > > and puts it up
    > >
    > > I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I suspect that's what happens

    > So, given a sufficiently long TCP/IP timeout, Roedy would have a link for
    > everything.

    just try that meaningoflife URL again in about 1/4 hour...

    Andy Fish, Jun 23, 2004
  5. Gorf

    Rene Guest

    Rene, Jun 23, 2004
  6. Gorf

    John Guest

    John, Jun 23, 2004
  7. Andy Fish wrote:
    > the trick is that if he doesn't already have a link, he writes a new section
    > and puts it up

    I think this is quite obvious. But if he continues at that pace, he will
    have to put all his other projects aside, and write a content management
    system and a search engine for the site :)

    /Thomas

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Jun 23, 2004
  8. Gorf

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:32:45 +0100, "Gorf" <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >...do you have a link for *everything*??? :D

    there are currently 2382 entries in the Java glossary
    http://mindprod.com/Jgloss/Jgloss.html

    I have been writing this seriously since around 1996. So that is an
    average of roughly one new entry a day.

    399 entries in the gay and black slang glossary
    http://mindprod.com/ggloss/ggloss.html

    186 entries in the computer buyer's glossary
    http://mindprod.com/bgloss/bgloss.html

    The entire website including downloads is currently 9152 files and
    takes 130 MB.

    You can get a free local mirror copy which does not include the
    downloads which automatically stays up to date via the Replicator. It
    takes about 53 MB uncompressed but compacted. See
    http://mindprod.com/projects/htmlcompactor.html. Complete from-scratch
    replicator download of the website is 34 MB compressed.

    See http://mindprod.com/products.html#SITE

    I don't know how many links there are in total. If you are really
    interested, I could add the code to count them. Most entries have
    several. The most thankless and boring job is finding replacements for
    broken links that Xenu discovers.

    If you are interested in how the website is created and maintained,
    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/html.html#HOW

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 23, 2004
  9. Gorf

    wrote or quoted :

    >http://mindprod.com/answers/meaningoflife.html doesn't work BTW ;)

    that is tackled indirectly in many places.

    http://mindprod.com/musings.html
    http://mindprod.com/ccism.html
    http://mindprod.com/methods.html
    http://mindprod.com/hallucination.html
    http://mindprod.com/wise.html
    http://mindprod.com/real.html

    if you feed "meaning of life" into the site search box you will get 84
    hits.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 23, 2004
  10. Gorf

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 06:49:16 -0400, "Matt Humphrey"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >> the trick is that if he doesn't already have a link, he writes a new

    >section
    >> and puts it up

    That's true. I often at least polish an entry, particularly one I have
    not looked at in a while, before or just after posting the link. That
    is why the links often have such uncanny relevance to the question
    just asked.

    I get quite ticked at people bawling me out for "JUST" giving them a
    link, or refusing to even look at it, when I just spent two hours
    preparing it for them.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 23, 2004
  11. Andrew Thompson, Jun 23, 2004
  12. Gorf

    Liz Guest

    "Thomas Weidenfeller" <> wrote in message
    > Andy Fish wrote:
    > > the trick is that if he doesn't already have a link, he writes a new

    section
    > > and puts it up

    > I think this is quite obvious. But if he continues at that pace, he will
    > have to put all his other projects aside, and write a content management
    > system and a search engine for the site :)
    >
    > /Thomas

    Maybe he is like George Forman (the boxer) and there are many
    people with the same name doing the work
    (George named all of his boys George.)

    Liz, Jun 23, 2004
  13. Gorf

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:07:26 +0200, Thomas Weidenfeller
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >I think this is quite obvious. But if he continues at that pace, he will
    >have to put all his other projects aside, and write a content management
    >system and a search engine for the site :)

    I have written a number of tools already for managing the site.
    You can see:
    - automatic index generation.
    - automatic link generation from keywords.
    - automatic sorting of links.
    - compaction for fast loads.
    - Java macro expansion for all kinds of intelligent boilerplate.
    - untouching so you don't get false deltas from macro expansion.
    - the Replicator to keep your local mirror up to date.
    - JDisplay for prettified downloadable source listings.
    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/html.html#HOW for more detail.

    Google spiders me often enough that its site index works pretty well.

    Google likes my site. People write me all the time about the way
    Googles Dorothy-in-Kansas-style swept them there and stayed for a few
    days or weeks poking around. The entire site is quite eclectic. I
    talk usually only about the java glossary and the computer buyer's
    glossary here. It is the part that soaks up the lion's share of my
    time.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 24, 2004
  14. Gorf

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:46:43 GMT, "Liz" <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >Maybe he is like George Forman (the boxer) and there are many
    >people with the same name doing the work

    People are quite good about suggesting things for me to do, but not
    often help with the work. I'm the same way. see
    http://mindprod.com/projects/projects.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 24, 2004
  15. Gorf

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:31:43 GMT, Andrew Thompson
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >> I don't know how many links there are in total.

    That would not count the links in the pages to other pages or outside
    pages, just how many places you can land in the website.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 24, 2004
  16. Roedy Green wrote:
    > I get quite ticked at people bawling me out for "JUST" giving them a
    > link, or refusing to even look at it, when I just spent two hours
    > preparing it for them.

    Not that there is a real need for it, but you could post the link's
    contents, too. Something like:

    Taken from <http://mindprod.com/jgloss/[page name].html>, follow the
    link for a formated version:

    [and then a simple text copy of the link's contents]

    Instead of just

    See <http://mindprod.com/jgloss/[page name].html>

    /Thomas

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Jun 24, 2004
  17. Gorf

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:
    > Roedy Green wrote:
    > > I get quite ticked at people bawling me out for "JUST" giving them a
    > > link, or refusing to even look at it, when I just spent two hours
    > > preparing it for them.

    > Not that there is a real need for it, but you could post the link's
    > contents, too.

    Or just a "teaser" -- quote the first couple of lines, but stop short of giving
    away any real content ;-)

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Jun 24, 2004
  18. Gorf

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    John wrote:
    > Gorf wrote:
    >
    >> ...do you have a link for *everything*??? :D
    >>
    >> http://mindprod.com/answers/meaningoflife.html doesn't work BTW ;)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gorf
    >>

    > don't take the piss. he has a propensity for throwing the rattle out of
    > the pram.

    Gorf knows when to use smileys....

    Alex Hunsley, Jun 24, 2004
  19. Gorf

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Alex Hunsley, Jun 24, 2004
  20. Gorf

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:19:41 +0200, Thomas Weidenfeller
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >Not that there is a real need for it, but you could post the link's
    >contents, too. Something like:

    The contents are huge, and formatted and peppered with Applets. I get
    bawled out already for my bandwidth use.

    It would rude and presumptuous to do paste them inline every time, and
    counter to the general good. Most people DON'T want to read it. Most
    people would have seen it many times before. Why should they waste
    bandwidth to save the newcomers one click? Why suffer with badly
    formatted stuff when a meticulously formatted version is a click away?

    If you can't chase the link quickly, perhaps a different
    newsreader/browser is in order. For me Agent and Opera work quite
    fast, especially if you already have Opera up.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 24, 2004