Roedy please respect the netiquette

blmblm

[ snip ]
[ It is getting to the point where browser
makers are enabling users to override just
about anything the web-designer does, which
is about (bloody) time. ]

"About time"? I agree, but wasn't that sort of the original idea
of HTML / the Web? that HTML would be a "logical markup" language,

I do not know what the story with separation
of content and style was in the early days,
I doubt 'presentation' was much of an issue
at all.

I think that's kind of what I liked about that stage --
content was organized with logical markup for simple
stuff -- numbered lists, unnumbered lists, levels
of headers, etc. -- and presented by the browser in
some bland but sensible way. But then I'm one of the
rare two-X-chromosome types who doesn't quite "get"
accessorizing, so what do I know.
I like the concept of *suggesting* style
but allowing the user to override it when
they feel like it, or need to do so.
[ Though if I get it right, it will be
the former, rather than the latter. ]

Fair enough, and reasonable.
I can see where you are coming from, but
I refuse to leave *everything* to the browser.
I consider Times New Roman (often) on a
white BG to be horrendous..

"To each his [ or her ] own"? Whatever!

I get pretty irritated when sites insist on choosing font sizes for
me, but the *really* annoying ones are the ones that display in some
unreadable mixture of font sizes unless the browser preferences are
set *just* *so*. No, I don't have any specific examples, and anyway
I think I've said my piece here.

Darryl L. Pierce

Gary said:
That's: Give a man an answer, and you solve his immediate problem. Teach a
man to program, and you frustrate him for the rest of his life.

I always heard it as "give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; teach a man
to fish and he'll pester you for bait for the rest of your life". :)

--
/**
* @author Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]>

Darryl L. Pierce

Steve said:
First, it's quite amazing that this particular thread is still active
after John Charlois first originated this thread LAST THURSDAY!!! And as
to what the term "netiquette" means, I believe that it must mean--if you
think about it--a combination of the "InterNET" and "etiquette"!!
Understood??!

I got that contraction, but that doesn't answer my question: what *is* "the
netiquette"? He acts as if this is some thing that is understood by all but
Roedy. But, I haven't a clue what "the netiquette" is.
But, you didn't respond back to the most "caustic" thing
that Charlois said of Roedy Green, ande that was that he wishes that he
were dead now!! Any comments about that?

My comment is Charlois can go **** himself. It's one thing to not like what
someone else does (nothing wrong with that) and it's another thing to want
to persuade that someone to change (nothing wrong with that either). But,
it's a completely different beast to wish the person dead for not doing as
you say. For that one must be a major gobshite.

--
/**