Role-Based Security: ACLs and Role Hierarchies

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Liet Kynes, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. Liet Kynes

    Liet Kynes Guest

    I'm new to the .NET security framework, and I pose the following questions:

    1) According to the documentation I've read .NET is promoting a role-based
    security model centered around IPrincipal. What about granular user-based
    security requirements? For example: I'm building a file repository app that
    allows users to upload files to the application and share them with specific
    users and groups/roles. Suppose we have three roles (officer, manager, and
    employee). An officer uploads a sensitive document to which only officers
    are privy...with the exception of a single manager. This manager cannot
    simply be moved into the officer role, since he should not be privy to all
    files that officers can see. Is this a scenario that can be supported by the
    ..NET Security model, or will I have to "roll my own" permissioning framework
    for this? It seems to me that each file would have to have its own ACL that
    contained roles and users.

    2) Is the concept of role hierarchies supported? Extending the example
    above, officers should be able to see all files, managers see a subset(s),
    and employees see a subset(s) of that. Is this supported, or do I have to
    explicity call .IsInRole for every group individually?

    I'd appreciate any insight or pointers to more resources.

    Liet

    Liet Kynes, Nov 26, 2003