Role of the web.config file with UserControls [2.0]

Griff

Most of the configuration information for a web application exist in the
web.config file.

We're planning on writing a set of compiled UserControls that could be used
by "any" web site. Of course, we're not going to be aware what information
has already been added to the web site's web.config file, so are a little
apprehensive about relying upon it in case there are any "conflicts". What
should we do...?

Thanks

Griff

Karl Seguin [MVP]

Use a custom configuration handler. That way in the web.config you can have
your own little section:

<myCompany>
<Web imagePath="images/">
<Cache Timeout="323" Type="Memory" />
...whatever else you need
</Web>
<myCompany>

This way you avoid any potential conflict and can creating a strongly type
configuration class.

This is how you did it in 1.x:
http://openmymind.net/index.aspx?documentId=5

you can still use this approach, but it's stupidly easier in 2.0:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.configuration.configurationsection.aspx

and the countless of hits google will give you..

Karl