Roll-out with .NET 1.1 or 2.0...

James Hunter Ross

Friends,

Our application is nearing beta deployment, hopefully to selected sites
within a month or so. During development we didn't feel we could commit to
..NET 2.0 because of uncertainties in our own schedule and the MS release
date. But now it looks likes MS is on schedule and so are we.

I'm thinking about doing an initial deployment with .NET 2.0 instead of the
1.1 we used during development. It would be nice to be "current" with "the
latest technology" when we go out the door. My gut tells me that we should
bite the bullet and do this before beta.

Does this sound like a good idea? Are the 2.0 improvements compelling
enough to warrant the new risk or instability? Is it non-trivial to rebuild
our existing application under .NET 2.0?

Pretty open-ended questions for sure. But I'd love a sentence or two of
your thoughts if you have the time. Thanks in advance for any time you
spend on this!

Sincerely, James Hunter Ross

jhcorey

Well, 2.0 is not 1.1 with added features. It's a different
architecture.
Based on my own limited experience, the changes/improvements in 2.0 are
ones you would want to implement at the start of the project, and would
determine they way you design it.

Kevin Spencer

Hi James,

Since you did your initial development in 1.1, you obviously did not use any
of the new features in the 2.0 platform. This means that upgrading to 2.0 at
this point would be relatively meaningless. Save it for the next version.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Ambiguity has a certain quality to it.

David Browne

Kevin Spencer said:
Hi James,

Since you did your initial development in 1.1, you obviously did not use
any of the new features in the 2.0 platform. This means that upgrading to
2.0 at this point would be relatively meaningless. Save it for the next
version.

I would lean toward deploying on the 2.0 framework ASAP. Then the next
version would require a framework upgrade. You won't be able to make any
incremental use of the 2.0 framework features without a major release.

Plus there are a ton of performance and engineering enhancements in the 2.0
framework.

David

Bruce Barker

you should try converting your app to 2.0 once just to see how difficult it
is. some convert easy, some are a lot of work. if it only takes a couple
days, it may be worth it, but you need this answer first.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Alan Silver

you should try converting your app to 2.0 once just to see how difficult it
is. some convert easy, some are a lot of work. if it only takes a couple
days, it may be worth it, but you need this answer first.

How do you know what to do to convert? I guess the first thing to do
would be to try running it as it is on 2.0 and seeing if it works. Is
there anything in 2.0 that will actually break 1.1 code, or does 2.0
just offer newer, better and faster ways of doing things?