Roller problems - EOFExceptions

spivee

I decided to try out the java/struts roller blog
v2.1(http://rollerweblogger.org/) and I seem to be having some issues.
I can start the application and can create users, login etc. When I
try to create a new blog (never successful) I get exceptions.

WARN 2006-05-10 21:20:00,280 JDBCExceptionReporter:logExceptions - SQL
Error: 0, SQLState: 08S01
ERROR 2006-05-10 21:20:00,290 JDBCExceptionReporter:logExceptions -
Communications link failure due to underlying exception:
** BEGIN NESTED EXCEPTION **
java.io.EOFException
STACKTRACE:
java.io.EOFException
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.readFully(MysqlIO.java:1905)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.reuseAndReadPacket(MysqlIO.java:2351)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:2862)
at
com.mysql.jdbc.ServerPreparedStatement.serverExecute(ServerPreparedStatement.java:1124)
at
com.mysql.jdbc.ServerPreparedStatement.executeInternal(ServerPreparedStatement.java:676)
at
com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeQuery(PreparedStatement.java:1030)
at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:92)
........ (there's a lot more)...

I am running redhat linux with Tomcat 5.5.9, MySQL 5.0.17, ConnectorJ
3.1.12, java 1.5.0_04. I've tried quite a few things, nothing has
worked to resolve this problem. I even upgraded to Tomcat 5.5.17 but
this didn't resolve the problem.

I have a friend to attempted to do the installation on his system as
well, using the same versions of software, and he has the same
problem..

I'm not really sure if this will turn out to be a tomcat issue, mysql
issue or what. This may not be the correct group to post to, but I'm
pretty stumped and hoping somebody out there may have something useful
to contribute.

I read somewhere that this may be a problem with the autoreconnect
attribute in the database connection string and that using a
DataSourceRealm might fix the problem, but I'm not really understanding
how to apply that to this problem. The doco on tomcat's site seems to
indicate the process by which you'd allow logging into tomcat using the
DataSourceRealm, but not how you'd use this to resolve a connection
pool problem.

Thanks in advance for any help...

spivee

In case anybody else is having this same problem, I was able to resolve
it by upgrading my MySQL installation. I upgraded to 5.0.21 and the
issue resolved itself. I hadn't modified MySQL. I doubt it was a
configuration issue, though I could be wrong.

Anyway, Issues fixed.