Roman numbers?

Neal

Hi,

Can someone point me in the right direction for codes
for Roman numbers.

More info? Where do you want them, what do you need to do with them?

I'd just type out the letters by hand.

For ordered lists, there's the deprecated attribute "type" which you can
set to I or i depending on what you need. If you're in Strict HTML, you
can use the CSS property list-style-type.

Dylan Parry

As an authority on the subject, T.J. proclaimed:
Can someone point me in the right direction for codes
for Roman numbers.

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but Roman numerals are simply made
of I, V, X, L, C, D and M characters. What exactly are you trying to do?

T.J.

Dylan Parry said:
As an authority on the subject, T.J. proclaimed:

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but Roman numerals are simply made
of I, V, X, L, C, D and M characters. What exactly are you trying to do?

I could be mistaken, but is there not a horizontal line
above and below IV in Roman numbers?
and can search engines distinguish between IV and
the Roman numerical?

Neal

I could be mistaken, but is there not a horizontal line
above and below IV in Roman numbers?

Can be. I've seen it both ways.
and can search engines distinguish between IV and
the Roman numerical?

No, but it's likely no big deal. "IV" would be seen as a word, just as
"369" and "yellow". There's no coordination between IV and 4, though -
since an IV means something different in medicine, a search engine should
not make them the same.

Dylan Parry

As an authority on the subject, T.J. proclaimed:
I could be mistaken, but is there not a horizontal line
above and below IV in Roman numbers?

Totally unrequired. In fact, a line above a Roman numeral indicates that
the number is 1000 times bigger, ie. V with a line above represents 5000.
and can search engines distinguish between IV and
the Roman numerical?

I don't think they can, but I might be mistaken.

Toby Inkster

T.J. said:
I could be mistaken, but is there not a horizontal line
above and below IV in Roman numbers?

You mean like these?

Char Description HTML Code
â…  1 Ⅰ
â…¡ 2 Ⅱ
â…¢ 3 Ⅲ
â…£ 4 Ⅳ
â…¤ 5 Ⅴ
â…¥ 6 Ⅵ
â…¦ 7 Ⅶ
â…§ 8 Ⅷ
â…¨ 9 Ⅸ
â…© 10 Ⅹ
â…ª 11 Ⅺ
â…« 12 Ⅻ
â…¬ 50 Ⅼ
â…­ 100 Ⅽ
â…® 500 Ⅾ
â…¯ 1000 Ⅿ
ↀ 1000 (old-fashioned) ↀ
↠5000 (old-fashioned) ↁ
ↂ 10000 (old-fashioned) ↂ
Ↄ Reversed 100 Ↄ

Note: the first column might not display in your newsreader -- you may
need a special font.

aa

and can search engines distinguish between IV and the Roman numerical?

This question only make sense if you can advise how are you going to enter
Roman numerical into Google search box.

T.J.

aa said:
This question only make sense if you can advise how are you going to enter
Roman numerical into Google search box.

I was actually thinking the other way round.
If there is a correct way of writing Roman numbers.
Would Google be smart enough to realise people
typing in V111 VIII and 8th are looking for the same thing.
I doubt it, but it would be good if they did.

aa

Would Google be smart enough to realise people
typing in V111 VIII and 8th are looking for the same thing.
I doubt it, but it would be good if they did.

Type into Google Henry V111, Henry VIII and Henry the 8th and compare the
results. Also look at the source code of the fetched pages to see how eight
is spelt there. Will you report the results here?

T.J.

aa said:
Type into Google Henry V111, Henry VIII and Henry the 8th and compare the
results. Also look at the source code of the fetched pages to see how
eight
is spelt there. Will you report the results here?

The results are completely different, with
Henry VIII being the most popular
(as one would expect)
This shows that Google doesn't show
V111 VIII or 8th as the same,
(again as we would expect)

But this still doesn't answer my question.
If there is a correct way to write Roman numbers
How would Google see this?

If the Google Algorithm was set, that using a proper code
for Roman numbers, returned VIII V111 and 8th as the same
The results returned would be more accurate, and webmasters
wouldn't have to make deliberate mistakes.
It would also reward webmasters who code correctly.

Interestingly, it is amazing how many people use 11
Try a search for Elizabeth 11.

rf

T.J. wrote
But this still doesn't answer my question.
If there is a correct way to write Roman numbers
How would Google see this?

Think about what google is and how it is used and you will have your answer.

Hint: It is not google you have to worry about, it is those who *use*
google.

"The correct way to write Roman numbers is the way you would expect somebody
using google to type them in".

If I were searching for the eighth Henry, using roman numerals, I would
probably type in "henry viii". I most certainly would not type in "henry v i
i i". I *might* type in "henry 8" to see if any other pages out there use
Henry 8th instead of Henry VIII.

aa

I completely agree with rf's comments.

If your question has a practical reason, and you want to get rating then you
should put yourself into shoes of your target audience and guess what and
how they might enter into SE. So the best solution will be to use in the
webpage all the variants VIII, 8th etc.

If you are just curious about Google algorithm, then it is better either to
ask them question or apply the classical "black box" test - send a message
to the black box and analyse the responses.

My guess is that the Roman numbers is a common enough case which should be
somehow addressed in their algorithm and "Henry VIII" should fetch "Henry
the Eighth", the 8th etc. even if these are not included into webpage
fetched. But your experiment showes that it's not the case. So Google has a
room for improvement

T.J.

aa said:
I completely agree with rf's comments.

If your question has a practical reason, and you want to get rating then
you
should put yourself into shoes of your target audience and guess what and
how they might enter into SE. So the best solution will be to use in the
webpage all the variants VIII, 8th etc.

If you are just curious about Google algorithm, then it is better either
ask them question or apply the classical "black box" test - send a message
to the black box and analyse the responses.

My guess is that the Roman numbers is a common enough case which should be
somehow addressed in their algorithm and "Henry VIII" should fetch "Henry
the Eighth", the 8th etc. even if these are not included into webpage
fetched. But your experiment showes that it's not the case. So Google has
room for improvement

Yes, I agree with rf too, but it is a shame that we have to write things
wrong on our sites just to try to appear in Google.
I have emailed suggestions at google, if by any slim chance they
reply I will post it here.