    Can someone point me in the right direction for codes
    for Roman numbers.

    Tia.

    T.J., Oct 13, 2004

  2. T.J.

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:03:53 +0100, T.J. <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can someone point me in the right direction for codes
    > for Roman numbers.

    More info? Where do you want them, what do you need to do with them?

    I'd just type out the letters by hand.

    For ordered lists, there's the deprecated attribute "type" which you can
    set to I or i depending on what you need. If you're in Strict HTML, you
    can use the CSS property list-style-type.

    Neal, Oct 13, 2004

  3. T.J.

    Dylan Parry Guest

    As an authority on the subject, T.J. proclaimed:

    > Can someone point me in the right direction for codes
    > for Roman numbers.

    Not sure exactly what you are asking, but Roman numerals are simply made
    of I, V, X, L, C, D and M characters. What exactly are you trying to do?

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

    Dylan Parry, Oct 13, 2004
  4. T.J.

    T.J. Guest

    "Dylan Parry" <> wrote in message
    > As an authority on the subject, T.J. proclaimed:
    >
    >> Can someone point me in the right direction for codes
    >> for Roman numbers.

    > Not sure exactly what you are asking, but Roman numerals are simply made
    > of I, V, X, L, C, D and M characters. What exactly are you trying to do?
    >
    > --
    > Dylan Parry
    > http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

    I could be mistaken, but is there not a horizontal line
    above and below IV in Roman numbers?
    and can search engines distinguish between IV and
    the Roman numerical?

    T.J., Oct 13, 2004
  5. T.J.

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:38:26 +0100, T.J. <> wrote:

    > I could be mistaken, but is there not a horizontal line
    > above and below IV in Roman numbers?

    Can be. I've seen it both ways.

    > and can search engines distinguish between IV and
    > the Roman numerical?

    No, but it's likely no big deal. "IV" would be seen as a word, just as
    "369" and "yellow". There's no coordination between IV and 4, though -
    since an IV means something different in medicine, a search engine should
    not make them the same.

    Neal, Oct 13, 2004
  6. T.J.

    Dylan Parry Guest

    As an authority on the subject, T.J. proclaimed:

    > I could be mistaken, but is there not a horizontal line
    > above and below IV in Roman numbers?

    Totally unrequired. In fact, a line above a Roman numeral indicates that
    the number is 1000 times bigger, ie. V with a line above represents 5000.

    > and can search engines distinguish between IV and
    > the Roman numerical?

    I don't think they can, but I might be mistaken.

    Dylan Parry, Oct 13, 2004
  7. T.J.

    Philip Ronan Guest

    just for fun: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=2004 in roman numerals

    --
    Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan, Oct 13, 2004
  8. T.J.

    Toby Inkster Guest

    T.J. wrote:

    > I could be mistaken, but is there not a horizontal line
    > above and below IV in Roman numbers?

    You mean like these?

    Char Description HTML Code
    â…  1 Ⅰ
    â…¡ 2 Ⅱ
    â…¢ 3 Ⅲ
    â…£ 4 Ⅳ
    â…¤ 5 Ⅴ
    â…¥ 6 Ⅵ
    â…¦ 7 Ⅶ
    â…§ 8 Ⅷ
    â…¨ 9 Ⅸ
    â…© 10 Ⅹ
    â…ª 11 Ⅺ
    â…« 12 Ⅻ
    â…¬ 50 Ⅼ
    â…­ 100 Ⅽ
    â…® 500 Ⅾ
    â…¯ 1000 Ⅿ
    ↀ 1000 (old-fashioned) ↀ
    ↠5000 (old-fashioned) ↁ
    ↂ 10000 (old-fashioned) ↂ
    Ↄ Reversed 100 Ↄ

    Note: the first column might not display in your newsreader -- you may
    need a special font.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 13, 2004
  9. T.J.

    aa Guest

    > and can search engines distinguish between IV and the Roman numerical?

    This question only make sense if you can advise how are you going to enter
    Roman numerical into Google search box.

    aa, Oct 13, 2004
  10. T.J.

    T.J. Guest

    "aa" <> wrote in message
    >> and can search engines distinguish between IV and the Roman numerical?

    > This question only make sense if you can advise how are you going to enter
    > Roman numerical into Google search box.

    I was actually thinking the other way round.
    If there is a correct way of writing Roman numbers.
    Would Google be smart enough to realise people
    typing in V111 VIII and 8th are looking for the same thing.
    I doubt it, but it would be good if they did.

    T.J., Oct 14, 2004
  11. T.J.

    aa Guest

    > Would Google be smart enough to realise people
    > typing in V111 VIII and 8th are looking for the same thing.
    > I doubt it, but it would be good if they did.

    Type into Google Henry V111, Henry VIII and Henry the 8th and compare the
    results. Also look at the source code of the fetched pages to see how eight
    is spelt there. Will you report the results here?

    aa, Oct 14, 2004
  12. T.J.

    T.J. Guest

    "aa" <> wrote in message
    >> Would Google be smart enough to realise people
    >> typing in V111 VIII and 8th are looking for the same thing.
    >> I doubt it, but it would be good if they did.

    > Type into Google Henry V111, Henry VIII and Henry the 8th and compare the
    > results. Also look at the source code of the fetched pages to see how
    > eight
    > is spelt there. Will you report the results here?

    The results are completely different, with
    Henry VIII being the most popular
    (as one would expect)
    This shows that Google doesn't show
    V111 VIII or 8th as the same,
    (again as we would expect)

    But this still doesn't answer my question.
    If there is a correct way to write Roman numbers
    How would Google see this?

    If the Google Algorithm was set, that using a proper code
    for Roman numbers, returned VIII V111 and 8th as the same
    The results returned would be more accurate, and webmasters
    wouldn't have to make deliberate mistakes.
    It would also reward webmasters who code correctly.

    Interestingly, it is amazing how many people use 11
    Try a search for Elizabeth 11.

    T.J., Oct 15, 2004
  13. T.J.

    rf Guest

    T.J. wrote

    > But this still doesn't answer my question.
    > If there is a correct way to write Roman numbers
    > How would Google see this?

    Think about what google is and how it is used and you will have your answer.

    Hint: It is not google you have to worry about, it is those who *use*
    google.

    "The correct way to write Roman numbers is the way you would expect somebody
    using google to type them in".

    If I were searching for the eighth Henry, using roman numerals, I would
    probably type in "henry viii". I most certainly would not type in "henry v i
    i i". I *might* type in "henry 8" to see if any other pages out there use
    Henry 8th instead of Henry VIII.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 15, 2004
  14. T.J.

    aa Guest

    I completely agree with rf's comments.

    If your question has a practical reason, and you want to get rating then you
    should put yourself into shoes of your target audience and guess what and
    how they might enter into SE. So the best solution will be to use in the
    webpage all the variants VIII, 8th etc.

    If you are just curious about Google algorithm, then it is better either to
    ask them question or apply the classical "black box" test - send a message
    to the black box and analyse the responses.

    My guess is that the Roman numbers is a common enough case which should be
    somehow addressed in their algorithm and "Henry VIII" should fetch "Henry
    the Eighth", the 8th etc. even if these are not included into webpage
    fetched. But your experiment showes that it's not the case. So Google has a
    room for improvement

    aa, Oct 15, 2004
  15. T.J.

    T.J. Guest

    "aa" <> wrote in message
    >I completely agree with rf's comments.
    >
    > If your question has a practical reason, and you want to get rating then
    > you
    > should put yourself into shoes of your target audience and guess what and
    > how they might enter into SE. So the best solution will be to use in the
    > webpage all the variants VIII, 8th etc.
    >
    > If you are just curious about Google algorithm, then it is better either
    > ask them question or apply the classical "black box" test - send a message
    > to the black box and analyse the responses.
    >
    > My guess is that the Roman numbers is a common enough case which should be
    > somehow addressed in their algorithm and "Henry VIII" should fetch "Henry
    > the Eighth", the 8th etc. even if these are not included into webpage
    > fetched. But your experiment showes that it's not the case. So Google has
    > room for improvement

    Yes, I agree with rf too, but it is a shame that we have to write things
    wrong on our sites just to try to appear in Google.
    I have emailed suggestions at google, if by any slim chance they
    reply I will post it here.

    T.J., Oct 16, 2004