    Can someone help me with this?

    Thanks,
    jojo

    jojo, Mar 3, 2005

  2. jojo

    JDS Guest

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:54:27 +0000, jojo wrote:

    > Can someone help me with this?

    Number one: Stop using MS Publisher to produce HTML.

    I'm not the only one who is going to tell you this. If you really are a
    rookie, then just accept this as gospel and do it. (Well, don't just
    accept it 100% --I (and others) will explain why if you ask.)

    --
    JDS | lid

    JDS, Mar 3, 2005

  3. On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:54:27 +0000, jojo wrote:

    > Do you guys have time for them here?
    >
    > I have created a single web page with Microsoft Publisher.
    > I have some experience with HTML-Kit and use it to "tweak".
    > It's a simple page, and get across exactly what I need.
    >
    > What I would like for it to do that it does not do is center the page on
    > whatever monitor it
    > is opened on. Right now the whole page justifies to the left.
    >
    > Can someone help me with this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > jojo

    If you point us to the web page, we can tell you the easiest way to center
    the content. It could be as simple as a <center> ... </center> around the
    content. In the long run, CSS is the way to go.

    Carolyn

    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 3, 2005
  4. jojo

    mbstevens Guest

    JDS wrote:

    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:54:27 +0000, jojo wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone help me with this?

    > Number one: Stop using MS Publisher to produce HTML.
    >
    > I'm not the only one who is going to tell you this. If you really are a
    > rookie, then just accept this as gospel and do it. (Well, don't just
    > accept it 100% --I (and others) will explain why if you ask.)

    Zounds, man, you'll drive them to Frontpage!
    ;)
    --
    mbstevens

    mbstevens, Mar 3, 2005
  5. jojo

    jojo Guest

    "JDS" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:54:27 +0000, jojo wrote:
    >
    > > Can someone help me with this?

    > Number one: Stop using MS Publisher to produce HTML.
    >
    > I'm not the only one who is going to tell you this. If you really are a
    > rookie, then just accept this as gospel and do it. (Well, don't just
    > accept it 100% --I (and others) will explain why if you ask.)
    >
    > --
    > JDS | lid
    > | http://www.newtnotes.com
    > DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/

    What would you recommended for simple things like my site?
    I actually just got an offer in the mail today for WebPlus 8 from Serif...is
    it any good?

    Thanks,
    jojo

    jojo, Mar 3, 2005
  6. jojo

    mbstevens Guest

    jojo wrote:

    > "JDS" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:54:27 +0000, jojo wrote:
    >>
    >> > Can someone help me with this?

    >> Number one: Stop using MS Publisher to produce HTML.
    >>
    >> I'm not the only one who is going to tell you this. If you really are a
    >> rookie, then just accept this as gospel and do it. (Well, don't just
    >> accept it 100% --I (and others) will explain why if you ask.)

    > What would you recommended for simple things like my site?
    > I actually just got an offer in the mail today for WebPlus 8 from
    > Serif...is it any good?

    Just use a text editor.
    Here are free resources for learning HTML and CSS.
    A few nights reading should get you going.
    WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editors REALLY
    aren't the way to start.
    They are safe to use only AFTER you know HTML and CSS.

    # HTML CSS web design
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/
    Web Design Group HTML and web design resources
    # CSS web design
    http://www.glish.com/css/
    Glish.com CSS tutorials table-less layout and more
    # CSS web design XHTML
    http://www.mbstevens.com/howtothumb/
    Hammering the Thumbnails tutorial on thumbnails by mbs
    # CSS XHTML web design
    http://www.realworldstyle.com/
    Real World Style modern layout for cross-browser viewing
    # web design xhtml
    http://www.nypl.org/styleguide/
    Online Style Guide of the New York Public Library shows how to convert HTML
    to XHTML easily.
    # web design xhtml
    http://www.webstandards.org
    The Web Standards Project
    # web standards
    http://w3.org

    --
    mbstevens

    mbstevens, Mar 3, 2005
  7. jojo

    data64 Guest

    "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > I actually just got an offer in the mail today for WebPlus 8 from
    > Serif...is it any good?

    Please do not respond or buy stuff from Spam (unsolicited emails). It just
    encourages more spam and impacts everyone else not just you.

    data64

    data64, Mar 4, 2005
  8. jojo

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com>

    > "JDS" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:54:27 +0000, jojo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can someone help me with this?

    >> Number one: Stop using MS Publisher to produce HTML.
    >>
    >> I'm not the only one who is going to tell you this. If you really are a
    >> rookie, then just accept this as gospel and do it. (Well, don't just
    >> accept it 100% --I (and others) will explain why if you ask.)
    >>
    >> --
    >> JDS | lid
    >> | http://www.newtnotes.com
    >> DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/
    >>

    > What would you recommended for simple things like my site?
    > I actually just got an offer in the mail today for WebPlus 8 from Serif...is
    > it any good?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > jojo

    Notepad tends to force oneself to be as simple as possible because it is a
    drag not to be... But maybe - after a little while - some text editor with
    some macros are good (to make key commands for the common tags), that can
    display line numbers and be adjusted for different window views. I use
    BBEdit on a Mac, an old text editor now. There would be things for PC work,
    but if it has too fancy everything or any claim to being a bit wsiwig, then
    you lose valuable simplicity and so control...

    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 4, 2005
  9. jojo

    jojo Guest

    "data64" <> wrote in message
    > "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in
    >
    > > I actually just got an offer in the mail today for WebPlus 8 from
    > > Serif...is it any good?
    > >

    > Please do not respond or buy stuff from Spam (unsolicited emails). It just
    > encourages more spam and impacts everyone else not just you.
    >
    > data6

    it was snail mail....

    jojo, Mar 4, 2005
  10. data64 wrote:

    > "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in

    >> I actually just got an offer in the mail today for WebPlus 8 from
    >> Serif...is it any good?

    > Please do not respond or buy stuff from Spam (unsolicited emails). It just
    > encourages more spam and impacts everyone else not just you.

    Even though I think he meant postal mail, here's something good on not
    supporting spammers. Swipe or link at will.

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/boulder.html

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 4, 2005
  11. jojo

    JDS Guest

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:24:30 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Even though I think he meant postal mail, here's something good on not

    Postal spam is no better than email spam. In fact, I think its worse. At
    least email spam is just 1's and 0's that I can easily delete. I have to
    *shred* a lot of my postal spam!

    --
    JDS |

    JDS, Mar 4, 2005
  12. On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:45:46 -0500, JDS wrote:

    > On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:24:30 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Even though I think he meant postal mail, here's something good on not

    > Postal spam is no better than email spam. In fact, I think its worse. At
    > least email spam is just 1's and 0's that I can easily delete. I have to
    > *shred* a lot of my postal spam!

    The ones and zeros are much easier to send however, and I receive alot of
    it. I only receive one or two postal spams a month. In part, thanks to a
    "No Flyers" sticker on my mailbox. Wish I could post one of those
    stickers on my email box.

    Carolyn

    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 4, 2005
  13. On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:38:10 GMT, "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >"JDS" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:54:27 +0000, jojo wrote:
    >>
    >> > Can someone help me with this?

    >> Number one: Stop using MS Publisher to produce HTML.
    >>
    >> I'm not the only one who is going to tell you this. If you really are a
    >> rookie, then just accept this as gospel and do it. (Well, don't just
    >> accept it 100% --I (and others) will explain why if you ask.)

    >What would you recommended for simple things like my site?
    >I actually just got an offer in the mail today for WebPlus 8 from Serif...is
    >it any good?

    No, it isn't. I tried it for a while and then started learning HTML
    and CSS from scratch - much better. I quite like NoteTab Light which
    is free and very simple, but here are some other free editors
    (courtesy of brucie);

    HTML
    free:
    jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
    nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
    ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
    netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
    araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
    1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
    crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
    ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
    acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
    notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
    html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
    context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
    pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
    websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
    metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
    quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
    tswebeditor: http://thaler.ennstal.at/tswebeditor/
    notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
    pagebuilder: http://www.tafweb.com/pagebuilder.html
    grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
    editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
    stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
    matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

    crimson editor seems to be highly recommended here; I also use
    html-kit which I like but I found more difficult to get to grips with.
    YMMV.

    --
    Sally in Shropshire, UK
    Reply To address is spam trap

    Sally Thompson, Mar 4, 2005
  14. [OT] Re: Rookie Questions?

    JDS wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:24:30 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Even though I think he meant postal mail, here's something good on not

    > Postal spam is no better than email spam. In fact, I think its worse. At
    > least email spam is just 1's and 0's that I can easily delete. I have to
    > *shred* a lot of my postal spam!

    Sounds like you get a lot of credit card offers; I doubt that you're
    shredding the flyers from the supermarket. And that's about all I
    shred. I don't know from where you're posting, but for USans there's
    a no-mail list one can be on that's specific to credit card pitches.
    Hang on. <clicketyclick> Found it:

    [q]

    You can opt-out of the incessant pre-approved credit card offers
    by contacting the three major credit bureaus directly:
    http://www.creditsourceonline.com/opt-out.html

    I can vouch from experience that they do honor such requests.
    Before sending the opt-out letter a few years back, I used to
    get several of these offers every week; since opting out, nada.
    This really can make quite a dent in the junk mail pile.

    [/q]

    That from a friend in another group:

    If not "quite a dent in the junk mail pile", at least quite a dent in
    the ones you have to actually process with the shredder.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 4, 2005
  15. jojo

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Rookie Questions?

    It was somewhere outside Barstow when Blinky the Shark
    <> wrote:

    >I doubt that you're
    >shredding the flyers from the supermarket.

    I shred everything. I have a really nice shredder, and I just like
    using it. Very therapeutic experience, especially the political
    flyers with the big photos on.

    Andy Dingley, Mar 5, 2005
  16. Jonathan N. Little, Mar 5, 2005
  17. jojo

    mbstevens Guest

    mbstevens, Mar 5, 2005
  18. Jonathan N. Little, Mar 5, 2005
  19. jojo

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com>
    writing in news:nbIVd.2$:

    > Do you guys have time for them here?
    >
    > I have created a single web page with Microsoft Publisher.
    > I have some experience with HTML-Kit and use it to "tweak".
    > It's a simple page, and get across exactly what I need.
    >
    > What I would like for it to do that it does not do is center the page on
    > whatever monitor it
    > is opened on. Right now the whole page justifies to the left.
    >
    > Can someone help me with this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > jojo

    In addition to what others have said about Publisher, you already have the
    tool you need - HTML-Kit is just fine. Here's what you need:

    div#main {margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto}
    </head>
    The contents of this div element is horizontally centered in the page.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Mar 7, 2005
  20. jojo

    Spartanicus Guest

    Adrienne <> wrote:

    >div#main {margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto}
    ></head>
    >The contents of this div element is horizontally centered in the page.

    That would not center the content of the div, neither would it center
    the div itself, for that to happen you'd have to add a width and the
    viewport would have to be wider than that width. Even then it wouldn't
    work in IE5.x.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Mar 7, 2005