Rookie Questions?

jojo

Do you guys have time for them here?

I have created a single web page with Microsoft Publisher.
I have some experience with HTML-Kit and use it to "tweak".
It's a simple page, and get across exactly what I need.

What I would like for it to do that it does not do is center the page on
whatever monitor it
is opened on. Right now the whole page justifies to the left.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks,
jojo

JDS

Can someone help me with this?

Number one: Stop using MS Publisher to produce HTML.

I'm not the only one who is going to tell you this. If you really are a
rookie, then just accept this as gospel and do it. (Well, don't just
accept it 100% --I (and others) will explain why if you ask.)

Carolyn Marenger

Do you guys have time for them here?

I have created a single web page with Microsoft Publisher.
I have some experience with HTML-Kit and use it to "tweak".
It's a simple page, and get across exactly what I need.

What I would like for it to do that it does not do is center the page on
whatever monitor it
is opened on. Right now the whole page justifies to the left.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks,
jojo

If you point us to the web page, we can tell you the easiest way to center
the content. It could be as simple as a <center> ... </center> around the
content. In the long run, CSS is the way to go.

Carolyn

mbstevens

JDS said:
Number one: Stop using MS Publisher to produce HTML.

I'm not the only one who is going to tell you this. If you really are a
rookie, then just accept this as gospel and do it. (Well, don't just
accept it 100% --I (and others) will explain why if you ask.)
Zounds, man, you'll drive them to Frontpage!
;)

jojo

JDS said:
Number one: Stop using MS Publisher to produce HTML.

I'm not the only one who is going to tell you this. If you really are a
rookie, then just accept this as gospel and do it. (Well, don't just
accept it 100% --I (and others) will explain why if you ask.)

What would you recommended for simple things like my site?
I actually just got an offer in the mail today for WebPlus 8 from Serif...is
it any good?

Thanks,
jojo

mbstevens

What would you recommended for simple things like my site?
I actually just got an offer in the mail today for WebPlus 8 from
Serif...is it any good?

Just use a text editor.
Here are free resources for learning HTML and CSS.
A few nights reading should get you going.
WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editors REALLY
aren't the way to start.
They are safe to use only AFTER you know HTML and CSS.

# HTML CSS web design
http://www.htmlhelp.com/
Web Design Group HTML and web design resources
# CSS web design
http://www.glish.com/css/
Glish.com CSS tutorials table-less layout and more
# CSS web design XHTML
http://www.mbstevens.com/howtothumb/
Hammering the Thumbnails tutorial on thumbnails by mbs
# CSS XHTML web design
http://www.realworldstyle.com/
Real World Style modern layout for cross-browser viewing
# web design xhtml
http://www.nypl.org/styleguide/
Online Style Guide of the New York Public Library shows how to convert HTML
to XHTML easily.
# web design xhtml
http://www.webstandards.org
The Web Standards Project
# web standards
http://w3.org

data64

I actually just got an offer in the mail today for WebPlus 8 from
Serif...is it any good?

Please do not respond or buy stuff from Spam (unsolicited emails). It just
encourages more spam and impacts everyone else not just you.

data64

dorayme

From: "jojo said:
What would you recommended for simple things like my site?
I actually just got an offer in the mail today for WebPlus 8 from Serif...is
it any good?

Thanks,
jojo

Notepad tends to force oneself to be as simple as possible because it is a
drag not to be... But maybe - after a little while - some text editor with
some macros are good (to make key commands for the common tags), that can
display line numbers and be adjusted for different window views. I use
BBEdit on a Mac, an old text editor now. There would be things for PC work,
but if it has too fancy everything or any claim to being a bit wsiwig, then
you lose valuable simplicity and so control...

dorayme

jojo

data64 said:
Please do not respond or buy stuff from Spam (unsolicited emails). It just
encourages more spam and impacts everyone else not just you.

data6
it was snail mail....

JDS

Even though I think he meant postal mail, here's something good on not

Postal spam is no better than email spam. In fact, I think its worse. At
least email spam is just 1's and 0's that I can easily delete. I have to
*shred* a lot of my postal spam!

Carolyn Marenger

Postal spam is no better than email spam. In fact, I think its worse. At
least email spam is just 1's and 0's that I can easily delete. I have to
*shred* a lot of my postal spam!

The ones and zeros are much easier to send however, and I receive alot of
it. I only receive one or two postal spams a month. In part, thanks to a
"No Flyers" sticker on my mailbox. Wish I could post one of those
stickers on my email box.

Carolyn

Sally Thompson

What would you recommended for simple things like my site?
I actually just got an offer in the mail today for WebPlus 8 from Serif...is
it any good?

No, it isn't. I tried it for a while and then started learning HTML
and CSS from scratch - much better. I quite like NoteTab Light which
is free and very simple, but here are some other free editors
(courtesy of brucie);

HTML
free:
jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
tswebeditor: http://thaler.ennstal.at/tswebeditor/
notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
pagebuilder: http://www.tafweb.com/pagebuilder.html
grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

crimson editor seems to be highly recommended here; I also use
html-kit which I like but I found more difficult to get to grips with.
YMMV.

Blinky the Shark

Postal spam is no better than email spam. In fact, I think its worse. At
least email spam is just 1's and 0's that I can easily delete. I have to
*shred* a lot of my postal spam!

Sounds like you get a lot of credit card offers; I doubt that you're
shredding the flyers from the supermarket. And that's about all I
shred. I don't know from where you're posting, but for USans there's
a no-mail list one can be on that's specific to credit card pitches.
Hang on. <clicketyclick> Found it:

[q]

You can opt-out of the incessant pre-approved credit card offers
by contacting the three major credit bureaus directly:
http://www.creditsourceonline.com/opt-out.html

I can vouch from experience that they do honor such requests.
Before sending the opt-out letter a few years back, I used to
get several of these offers every week; since opting out, nada.
This really can make quite a dent in the junk mail pile.

[/q]

That from a friend in another group:

If not "quite a dent in the junk mail pile", at least quite a dent in
the ones you have to actually process with the shredder.

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Blinky the Shark
I doubt that you're
shredding the flyers from the supermarket.

I shred everything. I have a really nice shredder, and I just like
using it. Very therapeutic experience, especially the political
flyers with the big photos on.

Adrienne

Do you guys have time for them here?

I have created a single web page with Microsoft Publisher.
I have some experience with HTML-Kit and use it to "tweak".
It's a simple page, and get across exactly what I need.

What I would like for it to do that it does not do is center the page on
whatever monitor it
is opened on. Right now the whole page justifies to the left.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks,
jojo

In addition to what others have said about Publisher, you already have the
tool you need - HTML-Kit is just fine. Here's what you need:

div#main {margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto}
</head>
The contents of this div element is horizontally centered in the page.

Spartanicus

Adrienne said:
div#main {margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto}
</head>
The contents of this div element is horizontally centered in the page.

That would not center the content of the div, neither would it center
the div itself, for that to happen you'd have to add a width and the
viewport would have to be wider than that width. Even then it wouldn't
work in IE5.x.