Roster web application

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Blinky, Jun 28, 2006.

  1. Blinky

    Blinky Guest

    Hi all,

    I am about to create a web application using asp and vbs to build an online
    roster for a department of 25 people. The roster covers some 10 shifts a
    day, 7 days a week always starting on a Sunday. I will be using an access
    database file to hold the information. At this this stage I will hold all
    the data for each week based on the date that the week starts.

    I am looking for ideas on how to dynamically give the user the option to
    choose any given week in any given year, always starting on a sunday. Could
    this be created on the fly or would it be easier creating a database table
    holding the dates for Sunday for a year or 2 ?

    Once a week is chosen a check on the database will determine if that weeks
    roster has been created or not. If not a user with the correct permissions
    can then create it.

    The rosters are currently written out by hand. It is a labourious task which
    must have certain numbers of staff working each shift for a given day. By
    creating a web application automating the checking process and making the
    roster available online and by email will make life easier for all staff
    involved.

    Any help, much appreciated.

    Cheers, Bill.

    Blinky, Jun 28, 2006

  2. Blinky

    Mike Brind Guest

    Blinky wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am about to create a web application using asp and vbs to build an online
    > roster for a department of 25 people. The roster covers some 10 shifts a
    > day, 7 days a week always starting on a Sunday. I will be using an access
    > database file to hold the information. At this this stage I will hold all
    > the data for each week based on the date that the week starts.
    >
    > I am looking for ideas on how to dynamically give the user the option to
    > choose any given week in any given year, always starting on a sunday. Could
    > this be created on the fly or would it be easier creating a database table
    > holding the dates for Sunday for a year or 2 ?
    >
    > Once a week is chosen a check on the database will determine if that weeks
    > roster has been created or not. If not a user with the correct permissions
    > can then create it.

    You should look at the DatePart function

    <%
    Response.Write DatePart("ww", Now)
    %>

    --