rotated text - problem solved

Discussion in 'HTML' started by thedarkman, Oct 16, 2010.

  1. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    thedarkman, Oct 16, 2010

  2. thedarkman wrote:
    > Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors
    >
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/graceland_poem.html
    >
    > a link at the bottom explains how I did it.

    You did no such thing, you just have a *image* of rotated text, (which
    was also offered and a poor solution).

    Your "solution" reads ...

    GRACELAND: a poem by Alexander Baron
    Click here for explanation Back To Poetry Index

    .... to screen readers or text-only browsers and even though it is only a
    few lines you have managed several markup errors...good work!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 16, 2010

  3. On 16/10/10 00:11, thedarkman wrote:
    > Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors
    >
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/graceland_poem.html
    >
    > a link at the bottom explains how I did it.

    Actually the link at the bottom points to some text that contains a
    steaming manure heap of misleading inaccuracy and outright lies.

    There is no html method of doing it. You were told this, but you still
    state "there is a way to rotate selected text through ninety degrees".

    We attempted to help you, suggesting various methods (including CSS3)
    that you might use to achieve your objective, including the one that you
    eventually used (an image).

    You dismissed all our suggestions as useless and unhelpful because they
    were not this mythical and non existent html method that you appear to
    have made up in your head and decided must exist, even though it doesn't.

    Maybe someone should take out the domain alexanderbaron.com and host a
    page dedicated to exposing your malicious lies, bullshit, and general
    incompetence.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Oct 16, 2010
  4. thedarkman

    idle Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:11:26 -0700 (PDT), thedarkman wrote in alt.html:

    > the bottom explains how I did it.

    So, you're a bottom then?

    --
    Mama say, everybody little bit gay.

    idle, Oct 16, 2010
  5. thedarkman

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 15 Oct 2010, the varmint thedarkman <>
    glyphed:

    > Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors
    >
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/graceland_poem.html
    >
    > a link at the bottom explains how I did it.

    Hehe, you're a gas, Darky! BTW, though, I don't consider myself a
    "warrior" so-to-speak. "Warrior" indicates strife and tribulation and
    anguish and similar stuff. I feel I'm more in-tune with markup than
    that. A better term would be "Code Angel" or possibly "Markup Mystic",
    although if you know what you're doing, there's nothing mystifying
    about it. The world of html has a pleasing symmetry while being just
    fucked up enough to not seem unreal or empirical. You could learn from
    it yourself and apply the knowledge broadly, perhaps even to improve
    those shitty word-heaps you pass-off as limericks. (I use "could" in
    the hypothetical sense, not the probablistic one.)

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/

    Neredbojias, Oct 16, 2010
  6. thedarkman

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, thedarkman <> wrote:
    >Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors

    ... who told you *repeatedly* what to do, but you refused to listen.

    >http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/graceland_poem.html
    >
    >a link at the bottom explains how I did it.

    To anyone with even rudimentary skills at writing HTML code, *how* you did it
    is obvious.

    Much more useful would be an explanation of *why* you did it, of why you would
    intentionally create a page that's hard to read.

    Doug Miller, Oct 16, 2010
  7. thedarkman

    dorayme Guest

    In article <i9b3j1$fbq$-september.org>,
    (Doug Miller) wrote:

    > Much more useful would be an explanation of *why* you did it, of why you
    > would
    > intentionally create a page that's hard to read.

    Now hang on... why would the subtleties of the visual aspects of
    poetry be relevant to a group like alt.html? Imagine if the OP
    was articulate enough to explain this, what fun we could have got
    into, but useful? I doubt it.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 16, 2010
  8. thedarkman

    dorayme Guest

    In article <4cb91941$0$4846$>,
    Norman Peelman <> wrote:

    > thedarkman wrote:
    > > Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors
    > >
    > > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/graceland_poem.html
    > >
    > > a link at the bottom explains how I did it.

    > and by the way:
    >
    > http://snook.ca/archives/html_and_css/css-text-rotation
    >
    > ...i'll take one of those cash filled envelopes as well.

    Look, your URL is much more interesting than my el basic advice,
    you can take all the cash. Thanks for providing it. I might even
    use it one day soon.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 16, 2010
  9. "thedarkman" <> wrote in message
    > Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors
    >
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/graceland_poem.html
    >
    > a link at the bottom explains how I did it.

    That was done the hard way:

    "I created a picture of the poem by keying it into a WORD file,
    and saving it as a two page PDF. Then I split the file, rotated
    the bottom half, and created a JPG by using a combination of PrtScn,
    Microsoft Photoeditor (a delightful little program) and IrfanView."

    I opened a text file of a goofy poem I wrote when I was about 9 years old,
    in Open Office Draw, exported it as JPG, rotated it 90 degrees using
    PhotoEditor (not really needed, but I also cleaned it up). Then I used a
    JavaScript trick I found on-line:
    http://javascript.internet.com/image-effects/image-rotate-with-canvas.html
    which will rotate it by an selected amount. If you use IE, it must be
    multiples of 90 degrees. In Firefox (and others), the 45 degree rotate
    (which I added) will work. Here it is:

    http://www.pauleschoen.com/SCGBG/ImageRotator.htm

    It's not fully valid HTML but at least better than the OP's.

    Paul

    Paul E. Schoen, Oct 16, 2010
  10. thedarkman

    dorayme Guest

    In article <EUcuo.185$>,
    "Paul E. Schoen" <> wrote:

    > "thedarkman" <> wrote in message
    > > Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors
    > >
    > > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/graceland_poem.html
    > >
    > > a link at the bottom explains how I did it.

    > That was done the hard way:

    Does rather sound that way!

    > "I created a picture of the poem by keying it into a WORD file,
    > and saving it as a two page PDF. Then I split the file, rotated
    > the bottom half, and created a JPG by using a combination of PrtScn,
    > Microsoft Photoeditor (a delightful little program) and IrfanView."
    >
    > I opened a text file of a goofy poem I wrote when I was about 9 years old,
    > in Open Office Draw, exported it as JPG, rotated it 90 degrees using
    > PhotoEditor (not really needed, but I also cleaned it up). Then I used a
    > JavaScript trick I found on-line:
    > http://javascript.internet.com/image-effects/image-rotate-with-canvas.html
    > which will rotate it by an selected amount. If you use IE, it must be
    > multiples of 90 degrees. In Firefox (and others), the 45 degree rotate
    > (which I added) will work. Here it is:
    >
    > http://www.pauleschoen.com/SCGBG/ImageRotator.htm
    >
    > It's not fully valid HTML but at least better than the OP's.

    You could without much difficulty make it valid?

    Anyway, why is your offering better? I am not saying it isn't, I
    am wondering about your reasons.

    Quite interesting to turn off all styles but not js and various
    combos. At the very least, with all styles off but say js on, it
    should surely default to regular right way up writing.

    If images are off, there is nothing, not even the 'alt'ernative
    text on my browsers. alt="Poet1.jpg" is a poor choice. Better
    would be a very short one line poem that captures the spirit of
    the longer one. As you are the poet here, I will leave this as an
    exercise for you.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 16, 2010
  11. thedarkman

    Lewis Guest

    In message <Xns9E12C7378F8AAneredbojiasnano@78.46.73.112>
    Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > On 15 Oct 2010, the varmint thedarkman <>
    > glyphed:

    >> Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors
    >>
    >> http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/graceland_poem.html
    >>
    >> a link at the bottom explains how I did it.

    > Hehe, you're a gas, Darky! BTW, though, I don't consider myself a
    > "warrior" so-to-speak. "Warrior" indicates strife and tribulation and
    > anguish and similar stuff. I feel I'm more in-tune with markup than
    > that. A better term would be "Code Angel" or possibly "Markup Mystic",

    Monk. I've always liked monk.

    --
    IT WOULD BE A MILLION TO ONE CHANCE, said Death. EXACTLY A MILLION TO
    ONE CHANCE. 'Oh,' said the Bursar, intensely relieved. 'Oh dear. What a

    Lewis, Oct 16, 2010
  12. "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <EUcuo.185$>,
    > "Paul E. Schoen" <> wrote:
    >

    >> "thedarkman" <> wrote in message
    >> > Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors
    >> >
    >> > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/graceland_poem.html
    >> >
    >> > a link at the bottom explains how I did it.

    >> That was done the hard way:
    >>

    > Does rather sound that way!
    >

    >> "I created a picture of the poem by keying it into a WORD file,
    >> and saving it as a two page PDF. Then I split the file, rotated
    >> the bottom half, and created a JPG by using a combination of PrtScn,
    >> Microsoft Photoeditor (a delightful little program) and IrfanView."
    >>
    >> I opened a text file of a goofy poem I wrote when I was about 9 years
    >> old,
    >> in Open Office Draw, exported it as JPG, rotated it 90 degrees using
    >> PhotoEditor (not really needed, but I also cleaned it up). Then I used a
    >> JavaScript trick I found on-line:
    >> http://javascript.internet.com/image-effects/image-rotate-with-canvas.html
    >> which will rotate it by an selected amount. If you use IE, it must be
    >> multiples of 90 degrees. In Firefox (and others), the 45 degree rotate
    >> (which I added) will work. Here it is:
    >>
    >> http://www.pauleschoen.com/SCGBG/ImageRotator.htm
    >>
    >> It's not fully valid HTML but at least better than the OP's.

    > You could without much difficulty make it valid?

    I improved it a little, but I would need to use HTML5 to accept the <canvas>
    element, and then the <center> tag would need to be replaced with CSS.

    > Anyway, why is your offering better? I am not saying it isn't, I
    > am wondering about your reasons.

    Mostly it does not have glaring errors that are easily corrected, such as
    unmatched tags and missing elements such as <body>. And my image of the text
    is better (but that's not an HTML issue).

    > Quite interesting to turn off all styles but not js and various
    > combos. At the very least, with all styles off but say js on, it
    > should surely default to regular right way up writing.

    Not sure what you mean. It should default to the pre-rotated image in this
    case. But as a demo, the original non-rotated image of the text should be
    used.

    > If images are off, there is nothing, not even the 'alt'ernative
    > text on my browsers. alt="Poet1.jpg" is a poor choice. Better
    > would be a very short one line poem that captures the spirit of
    > the longer one. As you are the poet here, I will leave this as an
    > exercise for you.

    Well, now I have used the first line of the poem as the "alt". I *do* need
    more exercise! :)

    When I first searched for "img rotation" I found many references to the
    process of sequentially changing (rotating) the displayed image among an
    array of choices, with a time delay and a loop.

    I'm not sure what the OP's problem is, but his attitude is no way to get any
    help in the future. I am grateful for helpful advice given by those with
    more knowledge and experience on usenet. Sometimes the replies may be a bit
    harsh, such as "lmgtfy", or "rtfm", but most times that is an appropriate
    response to laziness or cluelessness. This NG seems pretty reasonable except
    when slight deviations from "pure HTML", such as scripting, are deemed OT
    when they can be very simply answered. The c.l.j NG can be somewhat
    intimidating.

    Thanks,

    Paul

    Paul E. Schoen, Oct 16, 2010
  13. Paul E. Schoen, Oct 16, 2010
  14. thedarkman

    dorayme Guest

    In article <pSouo.3628$>,
    "Paul E. Schoen" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message

    > >> http://www.pauleschoen.com/SCGBG/ImageRotator.htm
    > >>
    > >> It's not fully valid HTML but at least better than the OP's.

    > > You could without much difficulty make it valid?

    > I improved it a little, but I would need to use HTML5 to accept the <canvas>
    > element, and then the <center> tag would need to be replaced with CSS.
    >

    > > Anyway, why is your offering better? I am not saying it isn't, I
    > > am wondering about your reasons.

    > Mostly it does not have glaring errors that are easily corrected, such as
    > unmatched tags and missing elements such as <body>. And my image of the text
    > is better (but that's not an HTML issue).

    Your image, I think, can afford to be very much better, to almost
    perfection in this case. With text, either use very little jpging
    compression or better, for bandwidth, use gif or png.

    > > Quite interesting to turn off all styles but not js and various
    > > combos. At the very least, with all styles off but say js on, it
    > > should surely default to regular right way up writing.

    > Not sure what you mean. It should default to the pre-rotated image in this
    > case. But as a demo, the original non-rotated image of the text should be
    > used.

    All styles off, js on:

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/justPics/poem.png>

    I like it though! Your poem is more powerful than you think given
    these combination of contexts. Bet you never dreamed this as a
    nine year old.

    > > If images are off, there is nothing, not even the 'alt'ernative
    > > text on my browsers. alt="Poet1.jpg" is a poor choice. Better
    > > would be a very short one line poem that captures the spirit of
    > > the longer one. As you are the poet here, I will leave this as an
    > > exercise for you.

    > Well, now I have used the first line of the poem as the "alt". I *do* need
    > more exercise! :)

    Not much point using an image as alternative if the alternative
    is called out in the case of no images being available. Usually
    alt text should serves as the best *immediate* alternative in the
    circumstances.

    Just by the way, don't ask, but I have time lord powers and I
    have gone back to alter your poem. The one you wrote is a four
    line one. In my opinion, the fifth line is redundant and the
    poem strengthened by its omission. I have left it as a thought in
    a nine year old head.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 16, 2010
  15. thedarkman

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 16 Oct 2010, the varmint Lewis <>
    glyphed:

    > In message <Xns9E12C7378F8AAneredbojiasnano@78.46.73.112>
    > Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >> On 15 Oct 2010, the varmint thedarkman <>
    >> glyphed:

    >>> Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors
    >>>
    >>> http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/graceland_poem.html
    >>>
    >>> a link at the bottom explains how I did it.

    >> Hehe, you're a gas, Darky! BTW, though, I don't consider myself a
    >> "warrior" so-to-speak. "Warrior" indicates strife and tribulation and
    >> anguish and similar stuff. I feel I'm more in-tune with markup than
    >> that. A better term would be "Code Angel" or possibly "Markup Mystic",

    > Monk. I've always liked monk.

    I considered that but didn't like the idea of everyone trying to look
    under my robe.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/

    Neredbojias, Oct 17, 2010
  16. thedarkman

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 16 Oct 2010, the varmint dorayme <> glyphed:

    > All styles off, js on:
    >
    > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/justPics/poem.png>

    A poem is the work of a poet,
    And obviously we all know it.
    It's just a fair rhyme
    Put into good time
    Lest some low wit poet does blow it.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/

    Neredbojias, Oct 17, 2010
  17. "dorayme" <> wrote in message

    > Your image, I think, can afford to be very much better, to almost
    > perfection in this case. With text, either use very little jpging
    > compression or better, for bandwidth, use gif or png.

    Yes, there are probably better ways to convert text to an image. If I have a
    real need for it I'll try various alternatives. I might even be able to use
    an automation interface to my CAD application (IMSI TurboCAD), which can
    display high quality text and export in various formats. But that would be
    client-side. To be really useful there should be a server-side script that
    can do that, and perhaps there is.

    > All styles off, js on:
    >
    > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/justPics/poem.png>
    >
    > I like it though! Your poem is more powerful than you think given
    > these combination of contexts. Bet you never dreamed this as a
    > nine year old.

    That must be a browser other than IE8 or Firefox 3.6. I wonder why it does
    that? I don't know how to turn styles off.

    > Not much point using an image as alternative if the alternative
    > is called out in the case of no images being available. Usually
    > alt text should serves as the best *immediate* alternative in the
    > circumstances.
    >
    > Just by the way, don't ask, but I have time lord powers and I
    > have gone back to alter your poem. The one you wrote is a four
    > line one. In my opinion, the fifth line is redundant and the
    > poem strengthened by its omission. I have left it as a thought in
    > a nine year old head.

    Yes, the redone-dance of the Fifth Dimension. I thought I felt a rip in the
    space-time continuum! Now we're in a slightly altered alternative universe
    :) But I still have my paper originals which I typed on a WWII era
    typewriter I had around 1958, until around 1963 when I got a more modern
    machine (but still a typewriter). I wrote 131 poems (all numbered) until
    1974. Scanned into text and WordStar when I got my first real personal
    computer in 1984. It had two 5-1/4" floppies and probably 256K RAM with an
    8086 processor running 7 MHz "Turbo Mode" up from the original 4.77 MHz.

    Then, after a long "dry spell", I wrote a few more from 1998 to 2000. They
    were OK, but not as much inspired as some of my earlier poems. Most of them
    are on my personal website, as early attempts at HTML, mostly created with
    MS Word.

    Paul
    www.peschoen.com

    Paul E. Schoen, Oct 17, 2010
  18. thedarkman

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 21 Oct 2010, the varmint "Joey@still_Learning.invalid"
    <Joey@still_Learning.invalid> glyphed:

    > Anonymous wrote:
    >
    >>In article
    >><>
    >>DORKBOY <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors
    >>>
    >>> http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/graceland_poem.html
    >>>
    >>> a link at the bottom explains how I did it.

    >>You are quite the asshole.

    > Now, now! I'm an asshole, and I take umbrage to your characterization
    > of the dick head.

    Hey! I'm an asshole AND a dickhead so please don't refer to Numb Nuts
    by either of those appellations.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/

    Neredbojias, Oct 21, 2010
  19. thedarkman

    William Gill Guest

    On 10/21/2010 4:04 PM, Neredbojias wrote:

    > Hey! I'm an asshole AND a dickhead ...

    I don't really have anything to add. I just couldn't resist the
    opportunity to quote you (out of context maybe, but still hard to resist)<g>

    William Gill, Oct 23, 2010
  20. thedarkman

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 23 Oct 2010, the varmint William Gill <>
    glyphed:

    > On 10/21/2010 4:04 PM, Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    >> Hey! I'm an asshole AND a dickhead ...

    > I don't really have anything to add. I just couldn't resist the
    > opportunity to quote you (out of context maybe, but still hard to
    > resist)<g>

    Hehe, yeah, I admit it. At least sometimes. But weren't you the guy
    who came up with that "kiddy porn" shit on one of my nudie pages 'bout
    3-4 years back? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but whoever it was - that
    qualifies. Anyway, I'm too old to care much anymore. Most people are
    a-holes at times, -in fact probably ALL people are, so it's just a fact
    of life. Take, for example, dorayme. She comes on here all
    goodie-two-shoes nice, I call into question some of her posted techie
    delusions, and she goes off in a huff, fussing and pouting with the red
    ass simply because she doesn't like anyone pointing-out her
    wrongnesses. Yeah, I _could have been_ more diplomatic, but I'm a
    United Statesman and we tend to speak our minds. Furthermore, I was
    right. And look how Jukka treats some of the plebs and he's not even
    an American! I guess it's the old story: if you can't stand the heat,
    don't sit on the stove.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/