rotated text - problem solved

Jonathan N. Little

thedarkman said:
Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/graceland_poem.html

a link at the bottom explains how I did it.

You did no such thing, you just have a *image* of rotated text, (which
was also offered and a poor solution).

Your "solution" reads ...

GRACELAND: a poem by Alexander Baron
Click here for explanation Back To Poetry Index

.... to screen readers or text-only browsers and even though it is only a
few lines you have managed several markup errors...good work!

Denis McMahon

Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/graceland_poem.html

a link at the bottom explains how I did it.

Actually the link at the bottom points to some text that contains a
steaming manure heap of misleading inaccuracy and outright lies.

There is no html method of doing it. You were told this, but you still
state "there is a way to rotate selected text through ninety degrees".

We attempted to help you, suggesting various methods (including CSS3)
that you might use to achieve your objective, including the one that you
eventually used (an image).

You dismissed all our suggestions as useless and unhelpful because they
were not this mythical and non existent html method that you appear to
have made up in your head and decided must exist, even though it doesn't.

Maybe someone should take out the domain alexanderbaron.com and host a
page dedicated to exposing your malicious lies, bullshit, and general
incompetence.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Neredbojias

Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/graceland_poem.html

a link at the bottom explains how I did it.

Hehe, you're a gas, Darky! BTW, though, I don't consider myself a
"warrior" so-to-speak. "Warrior" indicates strife and tribulation and
anguish and similar stuff. I feel I'm more in-tune with markup than
that. A better term would be "Code Angel" or possibly "Markup Mystic",
although if you know what you're doing, there's nothing mystifying
about it. The world of html has a pleasing symmetry while being just
fucked up enough to not seem unreal or empirical. You could learn from
it yourself and apply the knowledge broadly, perhaps even to improve
those shitty word-heaps you pass-off as limericks. (I use "could" in
the hypothetical sense, not the probablistic one.)

Doug Miller

Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors
... who told you *repeatedly* what to do, but you refused to listen.

To anyone with even rudimentary skills at writing HTML code, *how* you did it
is obvious.

Much more useful would be an explanation of *why* you did it, of why you would
intentionally create a page that's hard to read.

dorayme

Much more useful would be an explanation of *why* you did it, of why you
would
intentionally create a page that's hard to read.

Now hang on... why would the subtleties of the visual aspects of
poetry be relevant to a group like alt.html? Imagine if the OP
was articulate enough to explain this, what fun we could have got
into, but useful? I doubt it.

Paul E. Schoen

thedarkman said:
Here it is, no thanks to the mighty code warriors

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/graceland_poem.html

a link at the bottom explains how I did it.

That was done the hard way:

"I created a picture of the poem by keying it into a WORD file,
and saving it as a two page PDF. Then I split the file, rotated
the bottom half, and created a JPG by using a combination of PrtScn,
Microsoft Photoeditor (a delightful little program) and IrfanView."

I opened a text file of a goofy poem I wrote when I was about 9 years old,
in Open Office Draw, exported it as JPG, rotated it 90 degrees using
PhotoEditor (not really needed, but I also cleaned it up). Then I used a
JavaScript trick I found on-line:
http://javascript.internet.com/image-effects/image-rotate-with-canvas.html
which will rotate it by an selected amount. If you use IE, it must be
multiples of 90 degrees. In Firefox (and others), the 45 degree rotate
(which I added) will work. Here it is:

http://www.pauleschoen.com/SCGBG/ImageRotator.htm

It's not fully valid HTML but at least better than the OP's.

Paul

dorayme

"Paul E. Schoen said:
That was done the hard way:

Does rather sound that way!

[...]

You could without much difficulty make it valid?

Anyway, why is your offering better? I am not saying it isn't, I
am wondering about your reasons.

Quite interesting to turn off all styles but not js and various
combos. At the very least, with all styles off but say js on, it
should surely default to regular right way up writing.

If images are off, there is nothing, not even the 'alt'ernative
text on my browsers. alt="Poet1.jpg" is a poor choice. Better
would be a very short one line poem that captures the spirit of
the longer one. As you are the poet here, I will leave this as an
exercise for you.

Lewis

In message said:
On 15 Oct 2010, the varmint thedarkman <[email protected]>
glyphed:
Hehe, you're a gas, Darky! BTW, though, I don't consider myself a
"warrior" so-to-speak. "Warrior" indicates strife and tribulation and
anguish and similar stuff. I feel I'm more in-tune with markup than
that. A better term would be "Code Angel" or possibly "Markup Mystic",

Monk. I've always liked monk.

Paul E. Schoen

dorayme said:
Does rather sound that way!

You could without much difficulty make it valid?

I improved it a little, but I would need to use HTML5 to accept the <canvas>
Anyway, why is your offering better? I am not saying it isn't, I
am wondering about your reasons.

Mostly it does not have glaring errors that are easily corrected, such as
unmatched tags and missing elements such as <body>. And my image of the text
is better (but that's not an HTML issue).

Quite interesting to turn off all styles but not js and various
combos. At the very least, with all styles off but say js on, it
should surely default to regular right way up writing.

Not sure what you mean. It should default to the pre-rotated image in this
case. But as a demo, the original non-rotated image of the text should be
used.

If images are off, there is nothing, not even the 'alt'ernative
text on my browsers. alt="Poet1.jpg" is a poor choice. Better
would be a very short one line poem that captures the spirit of
the longer one. As you are the poet here, I will leave this as an
exercise for you.

Well, now I have used the first line of the poem as the "alt". I *do* need
more exercise! :)

When I first searched for "img rotation" I found many references to the
process of sequentially changing (rotating) the displayed image among an
array of choices, with a time delay and a loop.

I'm not sure what the OP's problem is, but his attitude is no way to get any
help in the future. I am grateful for helpful advice given by those with
more knowledge and experience on usenet. Sometimes the replies may be a bit
harsh, such as "lmgtfy", or "rtfm", but most times that is an appropriate
response to laziness or cluelessness. This NG seems pretty reasonable except
when slight deviations from "pure HTML", such as scripting, are deemed OT
when they can be very simply answered. The c.l.j NG can be somewhat
intimidating.

Thanks,

Paul

dorayme

"Paul E. Schoen said:
I improved it a little, but I would need to use HTML5 to accept the <canvas>

Mostly it does not have glaring errors that are easily corrected, such as
unmatched tags and missing elements such as <body>. And my image of the text
is better (but that's not an HTML issue).
Your image, I think, can afford to be very much better, to almost
perfection in this case. With text, either use very little jpging
compression or better, for bandwidth, use gif or png.
Not sure what you mean. It should default to the pre-rotated image in this
case. But as a demo, the original non-rotated image of the text should be
used.

All styles off, js on:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/justPics/poem.png>

I like it though! Your poem is more powerful than you think given
these combination of contexts. Bet you never dreamed this as a
nine year old.
Well, now I have used the first line of the poem as the "alt". I *do* need
more exercise! :)

Not much point using an image as alternative if the alternative
is called out in the case of no images being available. Usually
alt text should serves as the best *immediate* alternative in the
circumstances.

Just by the way, don't ask, but I have time lord powers and I
have gone back to alter your poem. The one you wrote is a four
line one. In my opinion, the fifth line is redundant and the
poem strengthened by its omission. I have left it as a thought in
a nine year old head.

Paul E. Schoen

Your image, I think, can afford to be very much better, to almost
perfection in this case. With text, either use very little jpging
compression or better, for bandwidth, use gif or png.

Yes, there are probably better ways to convert text to an image. If I have a
real need for it I'll try various alternatives. I might even be able to use
an automation interface to my CAD application (IMSI TurboCAD), which can
display high quality text and export in various formats. But that would be
client-side. To be really useful there should be a server-side script that
can do that, and perhaps there is.

All styles off, js on:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/justPics/poem.png>

I like it though! Your poem is more powerful than you think given
these combination of contexts. Bet you never dreamed this as a
nine year old.

That must be a browser other than IE8 or Firefox 3.6. I wonder why it does
that? I don't know how to turn styles off.

Not much point using an image as alternative if the alternative
is called out in the case of no images being available. Usually
alt text should serves as the best *immediate* alternative in the
circumstances.

Just by the way, don't ask, but I have time lord powers and I
have gone back to alter your poem. The one you wrote is a four
line one. In my opinion, the fifth line is redundant and the
poem strengthened by its omission. I have left it as a thought in
a nine year old head.

Yes, the redone-dance of the Fifth Dimension. I thought I felt a rip in the
space-time continuum! Now we're in a slightly altered alternative universe
:) But I still have my paper originals which I typed on a WWII era
typewriter I had around 1958, until around 1963 when I got a more modern
machine (but still a typewriter). I wrote 131 poems (all numbered) until
1974. Scanned into text and WordStar when I got my first real personal
computer in 1984. It had two 5-1/4" floppies and probably 256K RAM with an
8086 processor running 7 MHz "Turbo Mode" up from the original 4.77 MHz.

Then, after a long "dry spell", I wrote a few more from 1998 to 2000. They
were OK, but not as much inspired as some of my earlier poems. Most of them
are on my personal website, as early attempts at HTML, mostly created with
MS Word.

Paul
www.peschoen.com

Neredbojias

Now, now! I'm an asshole, and I take umbrage to your characterization
of the dick head.

Hey! I'm an asshole AND a dickhead so please don't refer to Numb Nuts
by either of those appellations.

William Gill

Hey! I'm an asshole AND a dickhead ...

I don't really have anything to add. I just couldn't resist the
opportunity to quote you (out of context maybe, but still hard to resist)<g>

Neredbojias

I don't really have anything to add. I just couldn't resist the
opportunity to quote you (out of context maybe, but still hard to
resist)<g>

Hehe, yeah, I admit it. At least sometimes. But weren't you the guy
who came up with that "kiddy porn" shit on one of my nudie pages 'bout
3-4 years back? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but whoever it was - that
qualifies. Anyway, I'm too old to care much anymore. Most people are
a-holes at times, -in fact probably ALL people are, so it's just a fact
of life. Take, for example, dorayme. She comes on here all
goodie-two-shoes nice, I call into question some of her posted techie
delusions, and she goes off in a huff, fussing and pouting with the red
ass simply because she doesn't like anyone pointing-out her
wrongnesses. Yeah, I _could have been_ more diplomatic, but I'm a
United Statesman and we tend to speak our minds. Furthermore, I was
right. And look how Jukka treats some of the plebs and he's not even
an American! I guess it's the old story: if you can't stand the heat,
don't sit on the stove.