Round Robin scheduling

Hraggie

I need some more information about the RR scheduling algorithm.

If I have a bunch of processes that will take some cpu time and IO
time.
RR defines a certain timeslice (say 10 ms). (which is used for cpu
timing?)

if the cpu finishes with one process, which takes for example 9 ms,
and no overhead, then that process is send from the ready queue to the
ioqueue.
At 9ms, the cpu will take the next process from the readyqueue, go for
10 ms, etc

what happens in the meantime with the ioqueue, when are those io jobs
going to be done?
Will the program run cpu processes, and also io processes
simultaniously?

thank you for any help/ideas.

Mladen Adamovic

Hraggie said:
Will the program run cpu processes, and also io processes
simultaniously?

Yes, CPU send the request to the controler to get some IO data into
memory and give slice to another process.

But, your question don't have anything with Java at all, as far as I see.

Martin Gregorie

Hraggie said:
I need some more information about the RR scheduling algorithm.
You'd better specify what OS you're using if you want a sensible answer.

Not all OSen use round robin scheduling. In any case the way processes
and threads in the JVM map onto OS scheduling methods is also very
system dependent.