Rounding Up

Brent Bortnick

Is there a way to make your numbers always round up. Ex:
if the number is 0.0341 it will round to 0.035

Brent

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

If you always want it at the thousandths, you could say:

<%
function roundUp(n)
if clng(n*10000) = 10 * clng(n*1000) then
n = formatnumber(n, 3)
else
n = formatnumber(n + 0.0005, 3)
end if
roundup = n
end function

response.write "<br>" & roundUp(0.0341)
response.write "<br>" & roundUp(0.03409)
response.write "<br>" & roundUp(0.0340)
response.write "<br>" & roundUp(0.0359)

%>

Dave Anderson

Brent Bortnick said:
Is there a way to make your numbers always round up. Ex:
if the number is 0.0341 it will round to 0.035

JScript:
val = Math.ceil(1000*val)/1000
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/js56jsmthceil.asp

VBScript (depends on how you want to handle negative numbers):
If val*1000 <> Fix(val*1000) Then val = Fix(val*1000+1)/1000
If val*1000 <> Int(val*1000) Then val = Int(val*1000+1)/1000
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/vsfctint.asp

Of course, both methods introduce you to the problem of representing
decimals with binary digits. See this for details:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q244699

You can opt for string representations of those numbers with either of the
following.

JScript:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/js56jsmthtofixed.asp

VBScript:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/vsfctFormatNumber.asp

--
Dave Anderson

Evertjan.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP wrote on 02 jul 2003 in
If you always want it at the thousandths, you could say:

<%
function roundUp(n)
if clng(n*10000) = 10 * clng(n*1000) then
n = formatnumber(n, 3)
else
n = formatnumber(n + 0.0005, 3)
end if
roundup = n
end function

response.write "<br>" & roundUp(0.0341)
response.write "<br>" & roundUp(0.03409)
response.write "<br>" & roundUp(0.0340)
response.write "<br>" & roundUp(0.0359)

%>

Or:

function roundUp(n)
n = int(n*1000+0.999999)/1000
roundup = formatnumber(n, 3)
end function

Dave Anderson

Aaron Bertrand - MVP said:
if clng(n*10000) = 10 * clng(n*1000) then
n = formatnumber(n, 3)
else
n = formatnumber(n + 0.0005, 3)
end if

CLng uses Banker's rounding, so it's wise to avoid in an ALWAYS up/down
scenario. Compare the following with this function:

roundUp(0.00105) --> 0.001
roundUp(0.00106) --> 0.002

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q196652&ID=KB;EN-US;Q196652

--