    According to the validator there is no such thing,
    though according to the specification it does exist?

    Which is the correct answer?

    Samuël van Laere, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Samuël van Laere

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Samuël van Laere" <> wrote:

    >Do framesets have a row attribute?

    row or rows?
    You say one in the subject and the other here. Could thet be the
    problem?

    Yes, the frameset element has a rows attribute.

    >The reason why i'm asking:
    >According to the validator there is no such thing,
    >though according to the specification it does exist?

    Are you using the frameset doctype?

    Otherwise, what's the URI?

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Oct 29, 2003

  3. "Samuël van Laere" <> wrote:

    >Do framesets have a row attribute?

    row or rows?
    You say one in the subject and the other here. Could thet be the
    problem?

    Yes, the frameset element has a rows attribute.

    >The reason why i'm asking:
    >According to the validator there is no such thing,
    >though according to the specification it does exist?

    Are you using the frameset doctype?

    Otherwise, what's the URI?

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Hi Steve,

    I'm talking about the ROWS attribute here.
    Validate this URL and you'll see a lot of errors:
    http://www.aceview.nl/

    It uses a frameset though its not my website.
    The creator of that website wrote to me:

    ' The HTML validator claims there is no ROW attribute.
    While the specification *does* describe the ROW attribute '

    That is why i wonder why the validator is making this claim.
    There's a lot of errors on there anyway.

    --
    With regards,
    Samuël van Laere

    Samuël van Laere, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Samuël van Laere

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Samuël van Laere" <> wrote:

    >I'm talking about the ROWS attribute here.
    >Validate this URL and you'll see a lot of errors:
    >http://www.aceview.nl/
    >
    >It uses a frameset though its not my website.
    >The creator of that website wrote to me:
    >
    >' The HTML validator claims there is no ROW attribute.
    >While the specification *does* describe the ROW attribute '
    >
    >That is why i wonder why the validator is making this claim.
    >There's a lot of errors on there anyway.

    The page is telling lies to the validator and the doesn't like that.

    The page claims to be written HTML 4.01 Transitional:

    In this version of HTML there is no frameset element, let alone no
    rows attribute.

    Frameset pages should use the Frameset variant:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN">

    f we over ride the doctype then the number of validation errosr is
    substantially reduced:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...tically)&doctype=HTML+4.01+Frameset&verbose=1

    Steve Pugh, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Thanks a lot for your help Steve.

    I've forwarded your answer to the webmaster, at least it should become clear
    to him/her that the validator is correct in reporting the errors.

    --
    With regards,
    Samuël van Laere

    Samuël van Laere, Oct 29, 2003