Rpy - partially blank R window

tkpmep

I have just installed R and Rpy, and am experiencing an odd problem
when driving R from Python - if I create a plot in R, the portion of
the plot window that lies under the IDLE window in which I type my
Python code remains blank. So if I type
from rpy import *
x = range(10)
y = [i ** 2 for i in x]
r.plot(x,y)

I get a plot of y vs. x, but only the top right portion of the plot
shows any points, axes etc. The bottom left corner (the portion that
lay under the IDLE window) is blank. Is this a known problem?If so, is
there a fix?

Sincerely

Thomas Philips