[rrt_ruby]Ruby and RoseRT

Damphyr

I have a Ruby wrapper library for RRTEI (Rose RealTime Extensibility
Interface) on windows using win32ole, with a gem and everything.
Is anyone interested in it, or is it just me working with this tool? :)
V.-

gregarican

Damphyr said:
I have a Ruby wrapper library for RRTEI (Rose RealTime Extensibility
Interface) on windows using win32ole, with a gem and everything.
Is anyone interested in it, or is it just me working with this tool? :)
V.-

I have read a couple of threads on c.l.r about Rational Rose. What
exactly is this and what is its purpose? I saw some docs on IBM's
website regarding it. Just wondering if it's something I should look
into as a side pursuit...

Damphyr

gregarican said:
Damphyr wrote:

I have read a couple of threads on c.l.r about Rational Rose. What
exactly is this and what is its purpose? I saw some docs on IBM's
website regarding it. Just wondering if it's something I should look
into as a side pursuit...
Well it's an MDA Tool - it does modelling in UML and generates the code
from the model. RoseRT is the realtime version of the tool, using some
Rational defined extensions to UML (state diagrams, capsules and ports)
that are (going to be) part of UML 2.0.
UML2.0 is one of those standards that goes through such a long and slow
moving standartization process that we'll probably won't see the
finished standard in our lifetimes.
I haven't used Rose in a very long time (since version 98), but I use
RoseRT for the last four years. RoseRT actually has very little common
with Rose. Up until the previous version the file formats were not
interchangeable (RoseRT could not read Rose petal files and vice versa -
RoseRT used to be ObjectTime before Rational bought it).
Moving from RoseRT to Rose does not make much sense, since the UML
extensions are heavily used (state diagrams are priceles in the realtime
field) and you lose almost all of your code.
Personally I would not recommend an 'academic' look on the tool, since
the license costs a bundle and the learning curve is steep.
Productive use of the tool is a very difficult subject - I've personally
reached a very productive level after four years of tears, screams,
frustration and rage.
I like being able to code in the UML model, but the Suite has serious
usability issues and the code editor is just getting worse with each
version.
I still have the original 'crash scoreboard' picture we sent to Rational
support at the end of each iteration, although I must say that lately
crashes are not a daily issue (I can still make it crash anytime, only
now I know exactly how to make it crash and just avoid it :) ).
Any more questions?
V.-

gregarican

Damphyr said:
[...]

Nope. Thanks for the info. Over last weekend I downloaded the 300 MB
trial version of RoseRT and gave it a looksee. It does indeed appear to
be very involved and I will take you advice regarding an academic look.
With everything else I have going on I wouldn't have the time to
dedicate to getting into this area :)