RS-232 or SPI

Joined
Jul 8, 2008
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I need to interface an FPGA to a microcontroller located on a seperate board.
The microcontroller has an SPI interface and a couple of UARTS to implement the normal normal RS232 interface.

Anyway some people are suggesting that I use the RS232 interface and I just wated to know which would be better. I was hoping to use the SPI interface based on the reason that when in the FPGA I receive data, I will have no idea of how my internal clock used to latch the serial data stream actually relates to it. So conceivably I could be latching very close to the data edge and possibly latch an incorrect value.

With teh SPI I would not have this problem as a clock is transmitted and along with the chip select line it seems easier.

Can anyone tell me if this would be sufficient reason to change from RS232 to SPI? and also how do people normally implement an RS232 interface on FPGA, from the point of view of latching the data? how do people allow for any differences in the clock used to transmit the data and that used to receive it?

Many thanks for the help.