RS-232

Runar Gjelsvik

Hi,

I just have a small question regarding a RS-232 transmission. I'm going to
set up one of these, but just wan't to make sure that I ain't thinking
entirely wrong.

After setting up a RS-232 interface in the FPGA, if you f.ex. use
Hyperterminal and transmit a simple .txt file, containing the numbers 123

How will the FPGA respond? Will it receive then serially receive the hex
digits responding to the ascii characters, something like this:

H'1' (Start of heading)
H'2' (Start of text)
H'31' (the number 1)
H'32' (the number 2)
H'33' (the number 3)
H'3' (End of text)
H'4' (End of transmission)

I just wan't to make sure that I understand things correctly, so if someone
could give me any feedback/correction that would be great.

Cheers,

Runar

Thomas Reinemann

Runar said:
Hi,

I just have a small question regarding a RS-232 transmission. I'm going to
set up one of these, but just wan't to make sure that I ain't thinking
entirely wrong.

After setting up a RS-232 interface in the FPGA, if you f.ex. use
Hyperterminal and transmit a simple .txt file, containing the numbers 123

How will the FPGA respond? Will it receive then serially receive the hex
digits responding to the ascii characters, something like this:

You are merging three levels of communication, at least. RS-232 is a
standard to represent logic levels on transmission lines (0 and 1 are
represented by +12V and -12V). Then you have character representations
may be ASCII and at last you have protocols, but nothing is related to
VHDL. You should ask your question in a NG for protocols.

Bye Tom