Rs232/Usb device via webservices? Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Marco Savioli, Jul 14, 2007.

  1. Maybe this is not the most appropriate place to put such a question,
    which is a bit general, but I didn't find a more specific newsgroup...

    Some of my customers are asking me if it's possibile to integrate the
    devices they are actually using in their application in a web service,
    which is an approach we have choosed and implemented for many others
    tasks of the application itself. We also have done something like this
    with other devices, but they were connected via Ethernet, so the making
    of a webservice was really trivial (but increase the load on the web
    service server, 'cause it has to open a socket through every client
    device machine).

    Currently, the devices are different models of scanner, both RS/232 and
    USB, controlled via an applet which use one high-level java class
    developed by us. Obviously, the scanners are connected to each client
    machine (so, they aren't connected to the server where the webservice is
    stored). My dilemma is: can a web service make use of a device locally
    connected to the client which also trigger the web service request?!? If
    the question is yes, how can it be accomplished?

    Sorry for my poor english and thanks in advance

    Marco Savioli, Jul 14, 2007