    Thank you in advance

    --
    Cafonauta

    Cafonauta, Mar 6, 2005

  2. Cafonauta

    Andy Dingley Guest

    It was somewhere outside Barstow when (Cafonauta)
    wrote:

    >So where is the usefulness of this modules?

    IMHO (incoming rant) there is alomost none. For much the reasons you
    describe, it is only usel as an end-to-end protocol between an
    extended producer and an extended client. Now if a major producer did
    this (maybe a music publisher started including new snippets of music
    releases), then the client developers would follow. But small sites
    can't extend and expect anyone to notice, and you certainly can't
    extend clients in ignorance.

    This is why RSS 1.0 is better than RSS 2.0, always will be, and one of
    the many reasons why Dave Winer is an idiot.

    RSS 1.0 uses the RDF model, not just XML. This has the advantage that
    the meta-structure of the document is always parseable, even when it
    has been extended. It has little theoretical advantge over XML+RSS for
    this (as choosing RSS implies much the same level of implied
    structure) but it has a few practical benefits; you can use standard
    RDF tools, like Jena, to work with it rather than needing to invent an
    application-specific toolset for RSS. Secondly the use of OWL allows
    this described structure to be extended in a useful manner, even for
    new external modules.
    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Mar 7, 2005

  3. Cafonauta

    Cafonauta Guest

    Andy Dingley <> wrote in message:

    > RSS 1.0 uses the RDF model, not just XML. This has the advantage that
    > the meta-structure of the document is always parseable, even when it
    > has been extended. It has little theoretical advantge over XML+RSS for
    > this (as choosing RSS implies much the same level of implied
    > structure) but it has a few practical benefits; you can use standard
    > RDF tools, like Jena, to work with it rather than needing to invent an
    > application-specific toolset for RSS. Secondly the use of OWL allows
    > this described structure to be extended in a useful manner, even for
    > new external modules.

    So It's like I supposed :-(
    Three weeks ago I started digging into RSS for the first time and (as
    most of the people) I started with the RSS 2.0 which it's so
    straightforward. Actually I faced immediately with its limitations.

    I want to set up a RSS channel which alerts subscribers whenever some
    stocks changes. My idea was to include the stocks names and values
    tags...
    Right now (before digging into RDF) the only solution I see is to have
    a normal RSS feed with a <link> to an xml file containing my stock
    values along a dtd describing my grammar and an optional xsl for
    clients which needs just to diplay data in html style.

    Thoughts?

    Bye

    --
    Davide

    Cafonauta, Mar 7, 2005
  4. Cafonauta

    wrote:

    >I want to set up a RSS channel which alerts subscribers whenever some
    >stocks changes. My idea was to include the stocks names and values
    >tags...

    By the sound of it, this is pretty easy ! You're into territory
    where only clients with a sophisticated understanding of your specific
    changes are expected to make sense of this new information.

    So my general rules in this case are as follows:

    - Add the new properties in such a way that they don't break any
    existing features.

    - Support the existing RSS properties so that there is a "sensible"
    behaviour if a non-enhanced client encounters them (i.e. add the new
    <price> property as a machine-processable property, but also repeat
    its value in a human-readable <description>).

    - Add the new information in a way that would make sensible addition
    to RSS, if this were a core part of it - i.e. add properties as part
    of the document (if possible), not as linked attachments outside the
    document.

    So personally I'd use RSS 1.0 (maybe 1.1) because that's what I
    always do. However there's no real reason why you couldn't use 2.0
    here.

    them. It's now a trivial piece of XML or XSLT coding to make use of
    them in your new clients. In the <description> then give enough
    information for a "vanilla RSS" client to give some human-readable
    display too. There's no need for your enhanced app to even use this
    property, if it can already duplicate the information from the
    specific properties.

    There's no need to apply an RDF processing model here, as you have a
    small number of simple additions and they're each of simple structure.
    However if you do want to investigate RDF, then go to the W3C site and
    look at the document pack from February 2004. Ignore all documents
    earlier than this - the docs were re-written from the ground up and
    are much better than their predecessors (congratulations to all
    involved).

    --
    'Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu Evesham wagn'nagl fhtagn'

    Andy Dingley, Mar 7, 2005