RSS 2.0 questions

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Aug 1, 2008.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    I spent the day adding RSS 2.0 feeds to my HTML Static macros package.
    You embed magic comments in the HTML, the macro processor finds, sorts
    and groups them by feed category/day, and exports them as plaintext
    XML and expands them inline as HTML.

    It was pretty straight forward. Having plenty of examples greatly
    helped.

    I have a few puzzles:

    1. Why no DTD?

    2. there appears to be no field for your home page, but Opera RSS seem
    to want to display it.

    3. There is no embedded URL in the XML to tell where the ordinal is
    posted. Was that an oversight or deliberate for some reason?

    4. I keep seeing references to "aggregators". Now I have my feed, am I
    supposed to register it somewhere? Are there any "must" sites? Is it
    like PADs where you just need to seed a few places, and others pick it
    up by osmosis?

    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, Aug 1, 2008

  2. Roedy Green

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Roedy Green wrote:

    > I have a few puzzles:
    >
    > 1. Why no DTD?

    Because RSS was invented by imbeciles, and then developed further by
    imbeciles. It was a replay of early HTML, basically.

    There's a successor to RSS called Atom, which is much cleaner, and pretty
    widely supported. You could consider using that instead, or as well.

    > 3. There is no embedded URL in the XML to tell where the ordinal is
    > posted. Was that an oversight or deliberate for some reason?

    I'm not sure what you mean by 'ordinal'.

    If you mean a URL to the feed itself, i'm not aware of any reason for
    deliberate omission. I assume the inventors just didn't think it was
    necessary, or didn't think of it. There is a link to the website that the
    feed describes, though, and there's a mechanism for discovering feed
    addresses from website addresses using an HTML link element.

    Atom has the ability for a feed to indicate its own URL.

    > 4. I keep seeing references to "aggregators". Now I have my feed, am I
    > supposed to register it somewhere? Are there any "must" sites? Is it
    > like PADs where you just need to seed a few places, and others pick it
    > up by osmosis?

    I suspect the most common way of using an RSS feed is to notice that a
    website you're visiting has one (courtesy of Firefox's little orange icon
    or equivalent) and subscribe to it. It doesn't need to be registered,
    indexed, etc. Although that certainly woudn't hurt.

    tom

    --
    Faith in chaos.

    Tom Anderson, Aug 1, 2008

  3. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:53:26 +0100, Tom Anderson <>

    >> 3. There is no embedded URL in the XML to tell where the ordinal is
    >> posted. Was that an oversight or deliberate for some reason?

    >I'm not sure what you mean by 'ordinal'

    spell-checker typo. I meant original.

    Roedy Green, Aug 1, 2008
  4. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:53:26 +0100, Tom Anderson <>

    >> 1. Why no DTD?

    >Because RSS was invented by imbeciles, and then developed further by
    >imbeciles. It was a replay of early HTML, basically.
    >
    >There's a successor to RSS called Atom, which is much cleaner, and pretty
    >widely supported. You could consider using that instead, or as well.

    After some sleep, I'll look into Atom. It should be pretty easy to
    generate it as well now I have the framework. I was under the delusion
    that Atom was the granddaddy.

    Roedy Green, Aug 1, 2008
  5. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 13:45:09 +0100, "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't need
    it"> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    > http://feedvalidator.org/

    I ran my script through and I was surprised how many picky things it
    found. One of the things it showed me was how to put in a self
    reference to where the feed itself lives. It turns out you graft in a
    couple of Atom commands to the RSS. This is apparently kosher.

    That is a very well done validator.
    Thank you for pointing it out.

    Roedy Green, Aug 1, 2008
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:26:40 GMT, Roedy Green
    someone who said :

    >3. There is no embedded URL in the XML to tell where the ordinal is
    >posted. Was that an oversight or deliberate for some reason?

    here is the strange kludge to do it:

    <Ross version="2.0" xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
    <channel>
    <title>Canadian Mind Products | Java Glossary</title>
    <link>http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html</link>
    <atom:link href="http://mindprod.com/rss/jgloss.xml" rel="self"
    type="application/Ross+ml" />

    Roedy Green, Aug 1, 2008
  7. Roedy Green

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:26:40 GMT, Roedy Green
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >
    >> 3. There is no embedded URL in the XML to tell where the ordinal is
    >> posted. Was that an oversight or deliberate for some reason?

    > here is the strange kludge to do it:

    > <Ross version="2.0" xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">

    ^^^^

    Roedy, i think you need to give your spellchecker a sound beating!

    tom

    --
    24-Hour Monkey-Vision!

    Tom Anderson, Aug 1, 2008
  8. Roedy Green

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 13:45:09 +0100, "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't need
    > it"> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    >> http://feedvalidator.org/

    > I ran my script through and I was surprised how many picky things it
    > found. One of the things it showed me was how to put in a self
    > reference to where the feed itself lives. It turns out you graft in a
    > couple of Atom commands to the RSS. This is apparently kosher.

    Kosher for RSS, which isn't saying a lot.

    > That is a very well done validator. Thank you for pointing it out.

    It's by Sam Ruby, isn't it? He's a pretty sharp guy.

    tom

    --
    24-Hour Monkey-Vision!

    Tom Anderson, Aug 1, 2008