    displayed as html, so the web page is the RSS reader. Is this possible?

    TIA,
    Mike
    mscir, Sep 11, 2005

  2. mscir

    Randy Webb Guest

    mscir said the following on 9/11/2005 6:32 PM:
    > I would like to add RSS to a site without PHP or ASP, so the RSS is
    > displayed as html, so the web page is the RSS reader. Is this possible?

    Ummm, what has this to do with javascript? Maybe an HTML or RSS group
    would be more appropriate.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Sep 12, 2005

  3. mscir

    RobG Guest

    Randy Webb wrote:
    > mscir said the following on 9/11/2005 6:32 PM:
    >
    >> I would like to add RSS to a site without PHP or ASP, so the RSS is
    >> displayed as html, so the web page is the RSS reader. Is this possible?

    > Ummm, what has this to do with javascript? Maybe an HTML or RSS group
    > would be more appropriate.

    I think what mscir is after is a script that will load an RSS feed into
    a web page and display it as HTML. Something like this example:

    <URL:http://developer.apple.com/internet/webcontent/xmlhttpreq.html>

    There are lots of sites that provide "RSS to HTML" services to allow
    display of RSS feeds in web pages, but they make the page dependent on
    the service.

    RSS is being supported so ubiquitously that it hardly seems necessary.
    Incidentally I think the whole idea of RSS was to get back to something
    like the original, dead basic HTML but it has now be perverted to be as
    rich as HTML sans DOM (essentially it is just a standardised set of XML
    tags). It is full of images, advertisements and general bloat - just
    use HTML and turn of Flash, images & scripting and there you have it -
    RSS without the buzz words.

    --
    Rob
    RobG, Sep 12, 2005
  4. mscir

    mscir Guest

    RobG wrote:
    > Randy Webb wrote:
    >
    >> mscir said the following on 9/11/2005 6:32 PM:
    >>> I would like to add RSS to a site without PHP or ASP, so the RSS is
    >>> displayed as html, so the web page is the RSS reader. Is this possible?

    >> Ummm, what has this to do with javascript? Maybe an HTML or RSS group
    >> would be more appropriate.

    > I think what mscir is after is a script that will load an RSS feed into
    > a web page and display it as HTML. Something like this example:
    >
    > <URL:http://developer.apple.com/internet/webcontent/xmlhttpreq.html>
    >
    > There are lots of sites that provide "RSS to HTML" services to allow
    > display of RSS feeds in web pages, but they make the page dependent on
    > the service.
    >
    > RSS is being supported so ubiquitously that it hardly seems necessary.
    > Incidentally I think the whole idea of RSS was to get back to something
    > like the original, dead basic HTML but it has now be perverted to be as
    > rich as HTML sans DOM (essentially it is just a standardised set of XML
    > tags). It is full of images, advertisements and general bloat - just
    > use HTML and turn of Flash, images & scripting and there you have it -
    > RSS without the buzz words.

    That's a great example, thanks very much!
    Mike
    mscir, Sep 12, 2005
  5. mscir

    Randy Webb Guest

    Dr Clue said the following on 9/11/2005 10:16 PM:

    > mscir wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to add RSS to a site without PHP or ASP, so the RSS is
    >> displayed as html, so the web page is the RSS reader. Is this possible?

    > Well, if you goto my site (link below), and your browser
    > has the capabilities, you should see a javascript
    > RSS news ticker running at the top of the screen.
    > CNN,FOX,NPR etc.
    >
    > This ticker uses an AJAX javascript approach.
    > The ticker and another example that simply places the news on
    > your web page can be found in the DHTML section of my site.
    > http://www.drclue.net/projects/jsDHTMLlib/

    You should test that page in IE6 WinXP SP2, and mouse over the content area.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Sep 12, 2005
  6. mscir

    Randy Webb Guest

    Dr Clue said the following on 9/11/2005 11:00 PM:
    > Randy Webb wrote:
    >
    >> You should test that page in IE6 WinXP SP2, and mouse over the content
    >> area.

    > Using same browser version , same OS looking at
    > the home page http://www.drclue.net/
    > and jdDHTMLib beta page http://www.drclue.net/projects/jsDHTMLlib
    >
    > Moving mouse arround over both pages content seems
    > to work as expected, but I gather your experiancing
    > something different.

    Yes. I get a serious flicker when mousing over the content in the beta
    page. The text and the images flicker back and forth.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Sep 12, 2005
  7. mscir

    Randy Webb Guest

    Dr Clue said the following on 9/12/2005 1:18 AM:
    > Randy Webb wrote:
    >
    >> Dr Clue said the following on 9/11/2005 11:00 PM:

    >>> Using same browser version , same OS looking at
    >>> the home page http://www.drclue.net/
    >>> and jdDHTMLib beta page http://www.drclue.net/projects/jsDHTMLlib
    >>>
    >>> Moving mouse arround over both pages content seems
    >>> to work as expected, but I gather your experiancing
    >>> something different.

    >> Yes. I get a serious flicker when mousing over the content in the beta
    >> page. The text and the images flicker back and forth.

    > Asside from the flickering , is the actual scrolling smooth, or
    > is it jerky in addition to the flashing?

    It has a slight jerk to it, but that is not near as annoying as the
    scroll itself. I move the mouse and the text jumps around making it hard
    to control the scroll.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Sep 12, 2005