    ground. I have a basic sence of XML, RSS, C++ and Visual bascis.
    Another thought is which would be easier, using C++ or Visual Basics?
    , Jun 16, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Another thought is which would be easier, using C++ or Visual Basics?

    Easiest is using the language (a) for which you can find support
    routines, so you don't have to re-code all that yourself, and (b) which
    you understand best. I'd expect there are more good XML manipulation
    libraries for C++ than for VB, but that's just a guess.

    Getting the idea off the ground: Define the problem you're trying to
    solve much more precisely. Design your data structures. Design the
    representation of the data structures in XML, and their transport
    mechanism in RSS. Code. Test. Repeat until it works.

    (From your note, it's pretty clear that you haven't yet gotten through
    the first stage of that process, which makes trying to work on the rest
    somewhat counterproductive.)

    Joe Kesselman, Jun 16, 2006

    Well, what I hope to do is create a updating system of RSS feeds for a
    GEO RSS feed. I need to figure out a way to organmize the data, sort
    it all into the subcatigories in RSS, and be able to have it grow as
    the list of data grows. At this time, I am not sure how much data
    there is, I just know it is a list of Logitudanal and latitude points,
    instead of a URL, ill use the point for the place. Whats your thoughts
    people?
    , Jun 16, 2006
  4. Greger Guest

    wrote:

    > Well, what I hope to do is create a updating system of RSS feeds for a
    > GEO RSS feed. I need to figure out a way to organmize the data, sort
    > it all into the subcatigories in RSS, and be able to have it grow as
    > the list of data grows. At this time, I am not sure how much data
    > there is, I just know it is a list of Logitudanal and latitude points,
    > instead of a URL, ill use the point for the place. Whats your thoughts
    > people?

    what platform?
    --
    www.gregerhaga.net
    Greger, Jun 17, 2006

    Greger wrote:
    > what platform?
    > --
    > www.gregerhaga.net

    Windows XP Pro, Im probably going to consider using C++ to write the
    program.
    , Jun 19, 2006
  6. Andy Dingley Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi there, I have been reasearching RSS and XML, in order to form a
    > program that works with RSS to organize information, such as places on
    > a map.

    As always, this is a question of system architecture design, not just
    coding. _What_ information are you organising? Where does it come from?
    Where might it be going?

    > Another thought is which would be easier, using C++ or Visual Basics?

    It makes almost no difference. You might use a DOM, like MSXML, and you
    could use XPath and XSLT to process RSS within this. Your key
    algorithms are thus in one of these languages, and VB/VC++ is just a
    container for them.

    RSS isn't (reliably) in XML, so you might find a need to provide a
    better RSS-friendly parser than a strict XML DOM for it. That's a job
    for C++ or Java, not VB, but you would probably encapsulate that in a
    COM component anyway, through the standard W3C DOM interrface.

    On the M$oft platforms, then choose whichever language you're
    personally happier with.
    Andy Dingley, Jun 19, 2006

    Andy Dingley <> wrote:

    > RSS isn't (reliably) in XML, so you might find a need to provide a
    > better RSS-friendly parser than a strict XML DOM for it. That's a job
    > for C++ or Java, not VB, but you would probably encapsulate that in a
    > COM component anyway, through the standard W3C DOM interrface.

    Would you tell me where I could get W3C DOM?
    , Jun 19, 2006
  8. Andy Dingley Guest

    wrote:

    > Would you tell me where I could get W3C DOM?

    W3C DOM is a standard, not a product. Your easiest way to obtain a
    product that supports this standard would be to use MSXML.

    If MSXML doesn't do everything you need (which for production-grade RSS
    reading it won't) then you'll probably have to write your own
    replacement. It's still a good idea to make this support the same
    standard though.
    Andy Dingley, Jun 19, 2006

    , Jun 19, 2006
  10. Greger Guest

    wrote:

    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/default.aspx?pull=/msdnmag/issues/06/06

    testrun/default.aspx
    hmm.
    outputting xml documents is pretty simple, reading them is more difficult.
    I create my rss feed at my site with a simple stupid php script. you don't
    need C++ for that. for reading feeds it is a different matter. I use
    libxml2 for that ( www.xmlsoft.org ).

    if you need classes for rss reading and downloading off of the web see my
    site and QxRSS Reader for some classes I recently wrote. C++ documentation
    is online.
    --
    www.gregerhaga.net
    QxRSS Reader 1.2.3 released
    Greger, Jun 20, 2006
  11. Andy Dingley <> wrote:
    > W3C DOM is a standard, not a product. Your easiest way to obtain a
    > product that supports this standard would be to use MSXML.

    Or the Apache Xerces project, which is cross-platform and hews closer to
    the standards in some places.

    Joe Kesselman, Jun 21, 2006