RSS::Maker and non-permalink guids

Steve Madsen

I am using RSS::Maker to produce an RSS 2.0 feed. The items in this feed
are a mix, some having guids that are permalinks and others that are
not.

It appears that the resulting feed is incorrect when generating an item
that does not use a permalink guid. The RSS 2.0 specification says:

"isPermaLink is optional, its default value is true."

(http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/rss/rss.html#ltguidgtSubelementOfLtitemgt)

However, this code does not emit a <guid> element with
isPermaLink="false":

require 'rss/maker'
rss = RSS::Maker.make('2.0') do |maker|
maker.channel.title = 'feed title'
maker.channel.description = 'desc'
maker.channel.link = 'link'
item = maker.items.new_item
item.title = 'item title'
item.link = 'item link'
item.guid.content = 'guid'
item.guid.isPermaLink = false
end
puts rss

This looks like a bug. If so, where should I report it?

Kouhei Sutou

Hi,

In <[email protected]>
"RSS::Maker and non-permalink guids" on Sat, 12 Sep 2009 02:10:10 +0900,
Steve Madsen said:
However, this code does not emit a <guid> element with
isPermaLink="false":

require 'rss/maker'
rss = RSS::Maker.make('2.0') do |maker|
maker.channel.title = 'feed title'
maker.channel.description = 'desc'
maker.channel.link = 'link'
item = maker.items.new_item
item.title = 'item title'
item.link = 'item link'
item.guid.content = 'guid'
item.guid.isPermaLink = false
end
puts rss

This looks like a bug. If so, where should I report it?

Yes, it's a bug.
It had been fixed in the repository:
http://svn.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=24639
http://svn.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=24640

Please use one of them:
* ITS: http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/projects/show/ruby
* ruby-talk ML
* ruby-core ML
* ruby-list ML (if you can use Japanese :)

Thanks,