RSS newsfeed

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Dennis Allen, Nov 7, 2005.

  1. Dennis Allen

    Dennis Allen Guest

    Hi. I'm new to this newsgroup, hope someone here can help. I wrote a
    simple ASP that reads various newsfeeds for my local astronomy club. See
    http://www.wmich-astro.org, on left frame click [news links].

    Problem. Sometimes when I execute my script, I get:

    msxml3.dll error '800c0005'
    The system cannot locate the resource specified
    mas/asp/astrowire2.asp, line 51

    I use the following script code:

    <%@ language="javascript" %>
    ..
    ..
    //
    function xml_load(src) {
    var xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
    var xmlhttp = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
    xmlhttp.open("GET",src,false)
    xmlhttp.send()
    xmlDoc = xmlhttp.responseXML
    if (typeof(xmlDoc) != "object" ||
    xmlhttp.GetResponseHeader("Content-Type") != "text/xml") {
    var szResponse = xmlhttp.responseText
    xmlDoc.loadXML(szResponse)
    }
    if (typeof(xmlDoc) != "object") return 'no object defined'
    if (xmlDoc.parseError.errorCode != 0) {
    var x = ''
    // x += 'Error in File: ' + xmlDoc.parseError.url + '<br>'
    x += 'Error in File: ' + src + '<br>'
    x += 'Error on Line: ' + xmlDoc.parseError.line + '<br>'
    x += 'Error Code : ' + xmlDoc.parseError.errorCode + '<br>'
    x += 'Error Reason : ' + xmlDoc.parseError.reason
    return x
    }
    return xmlDoc
    }

    The xmlhttp.send is line 51. If I use the browser's refresh (several
    times) I can sometimes get it to work. I wish I could trap and correct
    for this error. Is this a firewall problem? Is there anything the
    person who runs the server can do? Any help would be greatly
    appreciated...Dennis
    Dennis Allen, Nov 7, 2005

  2. Dennis Allen

    Dennis Allen Guest

    Hi. I googled this problem, few hits. People suspect it's a firewall
    problem. Perhaps the browser is not releasing variables. I tried to
    clean up my function, but still get the error and need to refresh once
    in a while. I'd like to release memory variables, but that should be
    already done in javascript.

    //
    function xml_load(src) {
    var xmlhttp = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
    xmlhttp.open("GET",src,false)
    xmlhttp.send()
    var xmlDoc = xmlhttp.responseXML
    if (xmlhttp.GetResponseHeader("Content-Type") != "text/xml") {
    var szResponse = xmlhttp.responseText
    xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
    if (typeof(xmlDoc) == "object") xmlDoc.loadXML(szResponse)
    }
    Dennis Allen, Nov 8, 2005

  3. Dennis Allen

    bregent Guest

    Sorry I cannot help Dennis, but are you willing to include all of your rss code
    so that I can use it in one of my sites? I may be able to help you troubleshoot
    your problem too.

    In article <#>, Dennis Allen says...

    bregent, Nov 15, 2005
  4. Dennis Allen

    bregent Guest

    Dennis, thanks very much. I'll give it a try in the next few days and get back
    to you.

    bregent, Nov 21, 2005