    support just a regular page (no XML for RSS available)?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    brett, Jan 18, 2007

  2. brett

    clintonG Guest

    Sure, checking file size is a crude hack that tells you something --
    something completely unreliable -- for example if the page contains banner
    ads for advertising or Google adwords what happens when the page is checked
    and the page contains rotated images that weigh differently from one
    another? What happens if one instance of the page displays five Google
    adwords and another instance 10 Google adwords? Ooops. File size will not be
    reliable for monitoring content.

    As for the use of RSS the page itself would generally be syndicated as a web
    feed by some process running on the server where the page exists. If you
    wanted to screen scrape a page and then use RSS to syndicate the contents of
    the scraped page as a web feed that can happen but again, its unreliable for
    the purposes you infer as you still don't have reliable information about
    the actual status of the contents of the page.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
    MAP http://wikimapia.org/#y=43038073&x=-88043838&z=17&l=0&m=h

    clintonG, Jan 18, 2007