    I compile the xml file using 'xmlto', using the default settings on a
    Debian system (in case that is of any significance).

    Thanks
    Joe Green, Jan 10, 2004

  2. (Joe Green) wrote:

    > I am trying to do some documentation in DocBook XML format. The
    > document is in UTF-8 and is in a right-to-left language. How do I tell
    > a paragraph that the text's direction is rtl or ltr?

    I suppose much of the information you can find on
    <http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/text-direction.html>
    applies to XML as well.

    Some examples in HTML:
    <http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/multilingual1.html#hebrew>
    <http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/arabic.html6>
    <http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/arabic-alphabet.html>
    <http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp/parentheses.html>
    Andreas Prilop, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Joe Green

    Joe Green Guest

    Andreas Prilop <-hannover.de> wrote in message news:<100120041733367745%-hannover.de>...

    > I suppose much of the information you can find on
    > <http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/text-direction.html>
    > applies to XML as well.
    >
    > Some examples in HTML:
    > <http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/multilingual1.html#hebrew>
    > <http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/arabic.html6>
    > <http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/arabic-alphabet.html>
    > <http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp/parentheses.html>

    Thanks. I am afraid none of the above examples shed enough light to
    what I am attempting to do.

    It seems that wherever I put <par dir="rtl"> or even <dir = "rtl">
    tags, it says these attributes do not exist.

    So, anyone have an example of an XML Docbook file that has directional
    tags I can look at?

    Thanks
    Joe Green, Jan 12, 2004
  4. On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Joe Green wrote:

    > Andreas Prilop <-hannover.de> wrote in message news:<100120041733367745%-hannover.de>...
    >
    > > I suppose much of the information you can find on
    > > <http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/text-direction.html>
    > > applies to XML as well.

    But only if the attributes have been defined to have meaning in the
    particular "application of XML" that you are using.

    > Thanks. I am afraid none of the above examples shed enough light to
    > what I am attempting to do.
    >
    > It seems that wherever I put <par dir="rtl">

    Does the "par" element claim to support a "dir" attribute in XML
    DocBook? I really don't know, but it should be easier to look in the
    authoritative place than to get trustworthy answers on Usenet.

    Google search for the obvious terms suggests you could also be looking
    at the thread which contains this message
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200206/msg00079.html

    My gut feeling is that I agree with the sentiment that putting Unicode
    text-direction control characters into a data stream is not the way to
    go - it needs some kind of higher-level markup. But at the time of
    that discussion, it seems the higher-level markup hadn't been defined
    yet.

    > or even <dir = "rtl"> tags,

    To quote a colleague, "you can't just make shit up and expect it to
    work".

    Apropos "tags": you'll need Joe English's not-the-FAQ
    http://www.flightlab.com/~joe/sgml/faq-not.txt
    section 5 for a handy glossary of this term. (Note the posting date).
    ;-}

    It appears from the above discussions that a requirement for dir
    and/or bdo in DocBook had been recognised in 2002. But - not being
    any kind of student of docbook - I've no idea what happened since,
    sorry.

    However, the idea that I saw floated in some discussions, of tying the
    writing direction to the "lang" attribute, has to be bogus. Language
    is orthogonal to writing system - all kinds of nonsense can result
    from failure to establish that distinction.

    best regards
    Alan J. Flavell, Jan 12, 2004