RTSP application development request

Nikoh

My company looking for a coder to modify vlc media player...
VLC have many problems with the seeking in RTSP streams from Darwin
streaming server
QuickTime play the movie perfectly and the seeking work fine but vlc
not.
VLC and QT in local plays perfectly both the videos and the seeking
work therefore i think that the problem is in vlc/liveMedia library.
More info if someone is interested.

santosh

Nikoh said:
My company looking for a coder to modify vlc media player...
VLC have many problems with the seeking in RTSP streams from Darwin
streaming server
QuickTime play the movie perfectly and the seeking work fine but vlc
not.
VLC and QT in local plays perfectly both the videos and the seeking
work therefore i think that the problem is in vlc/liveMedia library.
More info if someone is interested.

Why don't ask in the vlc development lists?

Nikoh

Why don't ask in the vlc development lists?

I have already asked but nobody is available for this job....I i think
that in this moment the community of vlc does not go very well,
moreover this modification is not simple.

Malcolm McLean

Nikoh said:
My company looking for a coder to modify vlc media player...
^^^^^^^
If you call your software engineers "coders" the it is unsurprising that
no-oner wants to work for you.

Nikoh

^^^^^^^
If you call your software engineers "coders" the it is unsurprising that
no-oner wants to work for you.

Ok, then my company looking for a "software engineers"; you happy now?

Default User

Nikoh said:
Ok, then my company looking for a "software engineers"; you happy now?

Nobody wants to work for someone who willfully violates the topicality
of the newsgroup either. If you can't show common courtesy when you're
looking for an employee, why would anyone expect you to show it once
they're hired?

Brian

Cesar Rabak

Default User escreveu:
Nobody wants to work for someone who willfully violates the topicality
of the newsgroup either.

You're wrong of course.
If you can't show common courtesy when you're
looking for an employee, why would anyone expect you to show it once
they're hired?

Why is that calling someone that writes code not courteous?

Flash Gordon

Cesar Rabak wrote, On 03/02/07 19:32:

You're wrong of course.

It certainly seems to apply to the majority of knowledgeable people here.
Why is that calling someone that writes code not courteous?

I suspect it was the posting to a group where it was clearly off topic
that was the lack of courtesy.

I also suspect that most of the people worth listening to here are
considerable more than coders. They are also designers, analysts, in
some cases authors etc. It's more than a decade (probably a lot more)
since I would have considered applying for a job that advert for a
coder, since that implies taking a design written by someone else and
coding it up rather than analysing requirements, writing (or finding)
algorithms, designing etc.

Malcolm McLean

Flash Gordon said:
Cesar Rabak wrote, On 03/02/07 19:32:

I also suspect that most of the people worth listening to here are
considerable more than coders. They are also designers, analysts, in some
cases authors etc. It's more than a decade (probably a lot more) since I
would have considered applying for a job that advert for a coder, since
that implies taking a design written by someone else and coding it up
rather than analysing requirements, writing (or finding) algorithms,
designing etc.
Johnny spends his day at work sitting at a desk drawing letters and figures
on pieces of paper.
Two hundred years ago Johnny's mummy would have said proudly, "O, our
Johnny, he's in the office". Five hundred years or so ago Johnny would have
been a highly trained priest or monk, or in other words, "clerk". Now if
Johnny is a clerk then that implies his scribbling doesn't add much value;
it is simply part of the fairly unskilled routine adminstration of the
company.

However Johnny might be writing some profound new theorem in mathematics. If
he is called a "clerk" then that gets a bit irritating. Particualarly as the
value of a mathematical theorem isn't something that can always be
communicated to outsiders. So it is with coding. People who cannot program
but have tried tend to deprecate it. It can be a routine activity, it can be
a work of genius, normally it is somewhere in between; not so easy that
successful delivery can be guaranteed, but not tackling any questions of
philosphical interest either.

"Coder" implies a certain attitude. Programmers would do well to reject the
term.

Nikoh

[...]

STOP IT PLEASE, this is very OT.
You can open another post in order to speak about "coder" or "software
engineers"
I only looking for a person to job for me for some day.

Flash Gordon

Nikoh wrote, On 03/02/07 23:23:
STOP IT PLEASE, this is very OT.

True, and I will.
You can open another post in order to speak about "coder" or "software
engineers"

No I won't because it is off topic for the group.
I only looking for a person to job for me for some day.

Well, advertising jobs is off topic for this group so go and find
somewhere else to do it. Possibly a group with the word "jobs" in the
title. When advertising there it will also be useful to give some
indication of rates and whether you want someone just for the one job or
for a permanent position.

Keith Thompson

Nikoh said:
STOP IT PLEASE, this is very OT.
You can open another post in order to speak about "coder" or "software
engineers"
I only looking for a person to job for me for some day.

*You* are complaining about a response being off-topic?

Your original post was a job solicitation. There are dozens of
newsgroups with the word "jobs" in their names. This is not one of
them. Job solicitations are not welcome here, and are likely to
damage your reputation and that of your employer.

You're right, anyone who wants to discuss the distiction between
"coders" and "software engineers" should open a new thread *in a
different newsgroup". Anyone who wants to offer jobs should do
likewise. Talk about C or talk somewhere else.

CBFalconer

Nikoh said:
.... snip ...

STOP IT PLEASE, this is very OT. You can open another post in
order to speak about "coder" or "software engineers"
I only looking for a person to job for me for some day.

You don't count. You posted the off-topic spam, and are being
ignored. Others are using the fact of your rude foul-up to discuss
their own attitudes to words and spammers. Maybe you will learn
something.

Cesar said:

You're wrong of course.

Perhaps, but I'll be not far wrong.
Why is that calling someone that writes code not courteous?

What are you talking about? I clearly stated that I was discussing
someone who violates topicality.

Brian

Malcolm McLean

Keith Thompson said:
You're right, anyone who wants to discuss the distiction between
"coders" and "software engineers" should open a new thread *in a
different newsgroup". Anyone who wants to offer jobs should do
likewise. Talk about C or talk somewhere else.
You are right. However there is distinction between threads which drift
off-topic and those which were started on non-topical subjects.

Cesar Rabak

Perhaps, but I'll be not far wrong.

Worldwide statistics can proof people willing or needing employment,
have much more latitude to this than otherwise.

You're *far* from being right, and perhaps only a dozen of people that
don't need a job asap are in the position you stand. I mention for
mathematical completeness.
What are you talking about? I clearly stated that I was discussing
someone who violates topicality.

It was not that clear enough, and if it was that, it was an ad hominen
comment, which still is non sequitur.