    needed by `libruby-static.a'. Stop. Itreied using both gcc and vac
    both gave the same errors.
    Your help is appreciated in advance
    Mehdi, Apr 16, 2007

  2. Hi,

    Isn't it AIX5.3 TL5 SP6?
    What parameters did you use for configure?
    I was able to compile ruby 1.8.6 without any parameters
    when using both gcc and vac.
    I would like to see the output of `set` as well to check
    what kind of environment values are declared.

    Yutaka Kanemoto, Apr 17, 2007

  3. Hi,

    At Tue, 17 Apr 2007 06:10:06 +0900,
    Mehdi wrote in [ruby-talk:248171]:
    > I am trying to compile ruby 1.8.6 on AIX 5.3 TL 6 and gmake gives the
    > following error
    >
    > gmake: *** No rule to make target `flock/usr/WebSphere/AppServer.o',
    > needed by `libruby-static.a'. Stop. Itreied using both gcc and vac
    > both gave the same errors.

    Autoconf AC_REPLACE_FUNCS appends $U to object file names. You
    seem to set environment variable U to /usr/WebSphere/AppServer.
    Try `make U='.

    --
    Nobu Nakada
    Nobuyoshi Nakada, Apr 17, 2007
  4. Mehdi

    Mehdi Guest

    Yes its TL 5 SP6. Sorry about the typo.

    Mehdi, Apr 18, 2007
  5. Mehdi

    Mehdi Guest

    I used 'make U=" and it worked while compiling using vac. I tried
    using gcc and it failed.
    The following is the output of set as you requested and yes "U" is
    set to /usr/WebSphere/Appserver.

    PWD=/usr/local/ruby-1.8.6
    RANDOM=23360
    SECONDS=3050
    SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh
    TERM=xterm
    TERM_DEFAULT=lft
    TMOUT=0
    TZ=EST5EDT
    U=/usr/WebSphere/AppServer
    USER=root
    W=/usr/WebSphere/AppServer
    _=U=
    all=anim,asna1,asna2,adb,awas,acmrm,acmls,aboap,abodb,ativ,apropwas,apropdb1,apermdb,apropdb2,acmigls,acmigrm
    call=app1sna1,app2sna2,db1db,app1was,app2cmrm,db2cmls,app1boap,db1bodb,app2tiv
    prompt=#

    Mehdi, Apr 18, 2007
  6. Hi

    2007/4/19, Mehdi <>:
    > I used 'make U=" and it worked while compiling using vac. I tried
    > using gcc and it failed.

    Are you still getting the same errors with using gcc?
    If you see any other errors, please let me know.

    I was able to compile ruby 1.8.6 by just doing these commands:
    # ./configure --prefix=$HOME/r186
    # make
    # make install
    # ~/r186/bin/ruby -v -rsocket -e 'p IPSocket.getaddress("www.ruby-lang.org")'
    ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [powerpc-aix5.3.0.0]
    "221.186.184.68"

    --
    Yutaka KANEMOTO
    http://d.hatena.ne.jp/kinpoco/