ruby 1.8.6 errors

Mehdi

I am trying to compile ruby 1.8.6 on AIX 5.3 TL 6 and gmake gives the
following error

gmake: *** No rule to make target `flock/usr/WebSphere/AppServer.o',
needed by `libruby-static.a'. Stop. Itreied using both gcc and vac
both gave the same errors.
Your help is appreciated in advance

Yutaka Kanemoto

Hi,

Isn't it AIX5.3 TL5 SP6?
What parameters did you use for configure?
I was able to compile ruby 1.8.6 without any parameters
when using both gcc and vac.
I would like to see the output of `set` as well to check
what kind of environment values are declared.

Nobuyoshi Nakada

Hi,

At Tue, 17 Apr 2007 06:10:06 +0900,
Mehdi wrote in [ruby-talk:248171]:
I am trying to compile ruby 1.8.6 on AIX 5.3 TL 6 and gmake gives the
following error

gmake: *** No rule to make target `flock/usr/WebSphere/AppServer.o',
needed by `libruby-static.a'. Stop. Itreied using both gcc and vac
both gave the same errors.

Autoconf AC_REPLACE_FUNCS appends $U to object file names. You
seem to set environment variable U to /usr/WebSphere/AppServer.
Try `make U='.

Mehdi

Yes its TL 5 SP6. Sorry about the typo.

Hi,

Isn't it AIX5.3 TL5 SP6?
What parameters did you use for configure?
I was able to compile ruby 1.8.6 without any parameters
when using both gcc and vac.
I would like to see the output of `set` as well to check
what kind of environment values are declared.

Mehdi

I used 'make U=" and it worked while compiling using vac. I tried
using gcc and it failed.
The following is the output of set as you requested and yes "U" is
set to /usr/WebSphere/Appserver.

PWD=/usr/local/ruby-1.8.6
RANDOM=23360
SECONDS=3050
SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh
TERM=xterm
TERM_DEFAULT=lft
TMOUT=0
TZ=EST5EDT
U=/usr/WebSphere/AppServer
USER=root
W=/usr/WebSphere/AppServer
_=U=
all=anim,asna1,asna2,adb,awas,acmrm,acmls,aboap,abodb,ativ,apropwas,apropdb1,apermdb,apropdb2,acmigls,acmigrm
call=app1sna1,app2sna2,db1db,app1was,app2cmrm,db2cmls,app1boap,db1bodb,app2tiv
prompt=#

2007/4/19 said:
I used 'make U=" and it worked while compiling using vac. I tried
using gcc and it failed.
Are you still getting the same errors with using gcc?
If you see any other errors, please let me know.

I was able to compile ruby 1.8.6 by just doing these commands:
# ./configure --prefix=$HOME/r186
# make
# make install
# ~/r186/bin/ruby -v -rsocket -e 'p IPSocket.getaddress("www.ruby-lang.org")'
ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [powerpc-aix5.3.0.0]
"221.186.184.68"