Ruby 1.8.6 (i486-linux)

Roy Stannard

First post here, I hope this is the right forum :)

I've installed Ruby on a Ubuntu Gutsy box - Pentium 4 2.8Ghz, but when I
check the version with the Rails splash screen (localhost:3000) it shows
- Ruby version 1.8.6 (i486-linux). How can I upgrade to a i686 version?

Thanx for any help.

Kyle Hunter

Roy said:
First post here, I hope this is the right forum :)

I've installed Ruby on a Ubuntu Gutsy box - Pentium 4 2.8Ghz, but when I
check the version with the Rails splash screen (localhost:3000) it shows
- Ruby version 1.8.6 (i486-linux). How can I upgrade to a i686 version?

Thanx for any help.

I believe that Ubuntu compiles all packages for i486 so that people do
not have compatibility problems with binaries. You might be able to find
one online, or you can of course compile it yourself with the proper
CFLAGS.

Roy Stannard

Kyle said:
I believe that Ubuntu compiles all packages for i486 so that people do
not have compatibility problems with binaries. You might be able to find
one online, or you can of course compile it yourself with the proper
CFLAGS.

The only compiling I've done in Ubuntu is with ffmpeg which was pretty
straightforward. But what would be the proper CFLAGS settings for a Ruby
i686 compilation and would it bw necessary to compile Rails and Gems
too. Sorry if these questions seem naive but this is a noob writing here

Thanx

Phillip Gawlowski

Phillip Gawlowski

Roy Stannard

Thanx to all for the helpful advice.

Yeah you're right, why waste time more minimal gains. I had thought
compiling for the i686 might make some real difference but if not,
forget it.

regards